HybridZ

Squeaky hood (latch)?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I've tried white lithium grease, mechanic's grease spray and WD40, and after a few days, all of these wear off so that I hear a chirp from somewhere in the hood latch. The spraying works perfectly for stopping it, and it is not the hood bouncing that makes this chirp, yet I can't find anything loose in the hood mechanisms, latch and wire. It used to drive me crazy thinking it was something under the dash, and I sprayed everywhere, to no avail, until I discovered it by driving around with the hood unlocked.

I wish someone could tell me what part to replace...has anyone heard this kind of thing? What kind of spray or oil will keep it's lubrication, so I don't have to open the hood and spray it every few days!?!!?

Thanks

John-83 280ZXT

John,

There are two rubber covered "buttons - one at each trailing corner of your hood that ensure that it is properly supported at each of those corners. If one or both are down a little the hood can move around or even 'flutter' a bit. If you adjust them up they will put a little tension on the latch which will eliminate movement and also encourage the hood to 'spring' up a bit when you pull the hood release. That might also eliminate your squeak.