HybridZ

Chevyfication

Phantom

My "Chevyfication" is underway. First it was the LS1 motor in my 280Z and now I've traded my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Suburban LT with the 5.3 L / 4L60E in it. Only had it a few days but am really impresssed with it so far. Cruised from Houston to DFW on cruise at 75 MPH with passing bursts to 100 mph and averaged 18.8 MPG and, even though it's new and more expensive than the Jeep, the insurance on it is less! Decent accelleration for a vehicle twice the weight of a Z, great room, quiet and smooth on the highway and, to top it all off, I even figured out a way to get it in the garage! Now I just need to find a decent car trailer and I'm set for long distance events with the 280Z28.

My "Chevyfication" is underway. First it was the LS1 motor in my 280Z and now I've traded my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Suburban LT with the 5.3 L / 4L60E in it. Only had it a few days but am really impresssed with it so far. Cruised from Houston to DFW on cruise at 75 MPH with passing bursts to 100 mph and averaged 18.8 MPG and, even though it's new and more expensive than the Jeep, the insurance on it is less! Decent accelleration for a vehicle twice the weight of a Z, great room, quiet and smooth on the highway and, to top it all off, I even figured out a way to get it in the garage! Now I just need to find a decent car trailer and I'm set for long distance events with the 280Z28.

Hey congrats. Brooke and I will be looking for a Sub real soon now. I'm trying to sell our van now.

Phyte

Phyte,

Definitely go to the http://www.texasdirectauto.com website and check them out. You might ssee what they would give you for the van in trade, THey offered me enough on my Jeep to make it NOT worth my while to try to sell it myself. If yo see a car you like let them know I sent you - it's worth $50 to me.

Spot,

"It isn't so!" The plan all along has been to have a super tanker for family trips - towing the 280Z28 to long distance events, etc. PLUS the 350Z for her to sport around town in when she does her shopping. Right now she's using the '83 280ZX for that.

BTW - how's the new truck!?

Phantom,

I've got a good buddy that owns a car dealership and when the time comes I'm going to goto the auctions with him to find my suburban. He's been looking for me lately and what he can get one for wholesale is about 6-8k less then anything else I've seen :D

Phyte

Phyte - Check the website I gave you then to get a feel for going prices. To give you an idea - the one I got was a 2002 LT with 16,200 miles on it for 27.5. It is 2WD with the lift hatch in the back & quad captains chairs plus all the other LT stuff. Beautiful vehicle ,gourgeous interior and exterior, with only a few minor blemishes. Absolutely floored me when I saw it was getting 18.8 MPG the way I pushed it coming back. Up here a similar one at similar price would have had 45-60,000 on it. It was the low mileage and overall condition that sent me there. I've been looking for about 4 months and that was by far the best deal - short of an auction.

Hey - you got that Z straightened out and on the road yet? You know you owe me a ride some time.

Phantom,

No new truck for me. After 2 weeks Don Davis finally gave me more on my Blazer, but by then I had decided power windows and locks were a creature comfort I couldn't live without. They didn't have anything in the price range with those options. I then went to Bankston and they wouldn't give me as much as Don Davis for my Blazer, so they couldn't get the payments right on the truck I wanted, which was only $1500 more then the first I looked at. It came down to the monthly being to high. I'm now driving my '77 daily since I switched the block out with the one that was in my '74, which came from a '78. It runs and starts perfect now. I'm finally enjoying my rust bucket.

Glad to hear your not giving up on the 350Z. I would love one, but I need a truck for work. Maybe I can talk my girlfriend into buying one so I can drive it?

Phyte - Check the website I gave you then to get a feel for going prices. To give you an idea - the one I got was a 2002 LT with 16' date='200 miles on it for 27.5. It is 2WD with the lift hatch in the back & quad captains chairs plus all the other LT stuff. Beautiful vehicle ,gourgeous interior and exterior, with only a few minor blemishes. Absolutely floored me when I saw it was getting 18.8 MPG the way I pushed it coming back. Up here a similar one at similar price would have had 45-60,000 on it. It was the low mileage and overall condition that sent me there. I've been looking for about 4 months and that was by far the best deal - short of an auction.

Hey - you got that Z straightened out and on the road yet? You know you owe me a ride some time.[/quote']

The couple that we looked at already were low miles 2002-03 (around 30k miles) for 20-22K. Obviously dealer auction prices are going to be a lot lower then you can get it at a dealer. The markup is pretty big on these things. However the one that you got still sounds like an awesome deal.

As for the Z its getting there.. Sure its road worthy now. My turbo motor will be at my house in 3 weeks. I'm going to start with a fresh rebuild and 10psi. Then intercooler, SDS, and 15psi later. Hopefully at that level I'll be able to hang with your LS1 :D I can dream can't I!

Couple new pics here

http://www.resizeme.com/index.cfm?pg=browsealbums&albumid=638

Phyte

Phyte - Looking good! Sounds like things are progressig well too. Nice to be able to drive while work is being done. Trust me, it really isn't cool to be a JSR member unless you have more than one Z,

About keeping up with the LS1? :roll:

About keeping up with the LS1? :roll:

Is that a challenge I see :D Yes it will be a while before I'll be able to keep pace with yours. I figure 10psi will suit me well until I redo the interior and body. Then I'll think about a larger turbo then, but thats a year or two down the line.

Phyte