HybridZ

anyone running this setup?

Guest kc280zx

Guest kc280zx

ive got a stock bottom end, ported gt40s from a 95 cobra, ford e cam, victor jr carb intake, and dont have carb yet. i will probably run a 650 carb, but not sure yet. for now i will have a stock T-5 in it, but im already saving my pennies for a Lentech AOD as an upgrade. Only reason for the Lentech AOD is the 100 shot im going to run after i get the tranny b/c i dont want to blow my T-5 and not be able to drive lol.

i am hoping to keep some street drivability with this thing. i just wanna be able to pull up next to a Z06 vette and actually hang or hell even beat em. ive already got the suspension on to handle the twisties, now i just need the go fast for the striaghts.

another motivation for me to build this car up is:

1 i havent seen any 280zx's with a SBF

2 both of my roommates drive supercharged mustangs putting out 500hp

3 im tired of losing, but dont wanna sell out to the mustang

Not that i can recall reading,however your intake outflows your heads.You may want to look into a performer rpm,or if you really are stuck on a singleplane intake try the torker2 or wieand xcelerator with smaller intake ports.There are several build ups that would get you very close to 330hp. with those heads and a intake other than the victor jr. ,the E cam and your heads(ported) with about 625-750cfm carb. that depends on the intake you use and where you want to make your power the RPM intake will give you more tq.early with a smaller carb(625-650).The torker2 will give you more mid range to top end pull(700-750)carb. but both will depend on what your rear gearing is going to be....But this is all just bench building w/o actual head flow ## or carb jetting

Guest kc280zx

i just bought my dad's 5.0 stang after a year and half of constant nagging. since i was wanting my z to be fast in the straights, i will just make the mustang fast since thats what it was designed to do. thanks for yall's support. later Z

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stickaz

I'm thinking you'll need some N20 to hang with a Viper.

Why? Let's say you're 2800#'s w/driver (assumptions, 240z=2400 lbs, 302 conversion added 200#'s over the I6 and you weigh 200), I'm guessing that mildly mis-matched 302 makes 280 to the wheels, not bad. With traction, should run 110-112 in the 1/4 (trap), now let's take a Z06. Those weigh in around 3250#'s w/driver, and make around 350 to the wheels stock. Ouch. They seem to trap around 115-116 stock depending on weather/etc.

So you'll get pulled.

Basically you need another 40 rwhp or so, which given that you're choosing a carb'd 302 can come from

+better cam

+more appropriate intake

+compression (milling?)

and a proper build (port-matched heads to intake, properly adjusted rockers, etc. all)