HybridZ

BOV reference line question

Jersey

Gabe, i picked up a 10/32" plug yesterday to do just that. But i am going to do the drill mod that's mentioned on the site Yo listed and leave the new port open to see if that clears it from leaking at idle. I wouldn't crush it unless you hear it leaking before your maximum boost you're running. I run about 16-17psi now and it doesn't leak. I guess it all depends on the strength of the internal spring. If it's weakend by blowing off 10 million times, it'll probably leak at a lower boost level. Thing that gets me is, i know most recommend to recirculate the BOV but, what happens when it's leaking too early... I would think it would be hard to diagnose because it'll just throw that air back into the turbo compressor and continue to spin it faster. To me, it seems you could overspin your tubo easy if the air just continuosly gets re-cycled from the BOV back to the turbo, back to the BOV... back and forth. My thoughts anyway.

Guest bastaad525
. Thing that gets me is, i know most recommend to recirculate the BOV but, what happens when it's leaking too early... I would think it would be hard to diagnose because it'll just throw that air back into the turbo compressor and continue to spin it faster. To me, it seems you could overspin your tubo easy if the air just continuosly gets re-cycled from the BOV back to the turbo, back to the BOV... back and forth. My thoughts anyway.

That's a scary thought... I think it must not be an issue though... gotta keep in mind that on the car these things came on they were recirculated. I can't say I've ever heard of DSM-ers having problems with overspinning turbos on stock setup cars. But then you dont hear of the BOV's failing or loosening really either so as long as they are holding the boost it shouldn't be an issue... would suck for a BOV to loosen over time and then one day take your turbo out with it though!!!

Guest Simon

BOV... it all comes down to springs.... if you are leaking, you need a bigger spring... your vacuome is to much for the spring to handle.

but you don't want a spring which is too hard because they wont preform too well when they need to open.

You don't want a leaky BOV.. lots of standard ones leak quite a bit on lightly modded cars. My VG30DET leaks heaps with a 3 inch exhaust and Aftermarket ECU and fuel pump.

I have a BOV to put on with adjustable spring tension so you can have it set hard enough for it not to leak and soft enough to work very well.

Simon

Guest bastaad525

that sux. Crushing mine down slightly didn't keep it from leaking at idle. I was hoping this hole tapping fix did it, and also kept the BOV from opening under light cruise (vacuum).

If mine only caused me to run rich between shifts I'd probably deal with it and leave it open (man I do like that sound), but with mine it opens so easily under vacuum that even at cruise or any time that I'm NOT on boost really it tends to stay open and the car runs like crap!

I was thinking of ordering a pre-modded one from the link yo2001 gave but now after you say that tapping that hole didn't help maybe I should not?

I left the new port open to atmosphere so maybe if i connect this to the IC piping, it'll hold. If i get a chance, i'll put the other one that i modded and didn't crush back on and try it. I'll let you know if it works.