HybridZ

What is a fuel cell and what are its advantages/disadvantage

Guest zconvert

I copied Tim's design exactly. I am using a Holley Blue fuel pump that is mounted to the side of the steel fuel cell box. I decided to do this to use a reliable fuel cell and nice big hoses - i think i was mostly influenced by cool factor. All those braided lines and AN fittings are pretty bitchin ;) I guess hooking up a V8 to the stock fuel system seemed kind of sketchy with its small lines. It was nice to clean all the lines and vapor tanks out of the interior of the car, also. I mainly did it for cool factor and for peace of mind. One other major reason was for exhaust routing - i really wanted a true dual exhaust with an X pipe and the only way to get those mufflers on both sides of the car was to get rid of the stock fuel tank. I had some pictures on my website but Apple decided to start charging money for their .Mac services, the bastards.

here is an underside veiw of mine but it is a custom. The lod tanks corrode badly and the fuel cell gave me the room to run my dual exhaust without and interfeirence from fuel lines, tank etc. I think it is a better way to go depending on your needs? cheers.gif

Guest zconvert

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I did a search and couldn't find any info on this. I noticed Darius has a fuel cell and it looks like he fills from the hatch? That seems kind of cool but also maybe a bit dangerous? With a fuel cell do you need the vent lines? Also, I noticed on Darius' website he has what looks to be 2 feed lines and 2 return lines? Is that the way all fuel cells are? What is the advantage of a fuel cell over a regular tank? Keeping it from sloshing around so much while racing maybe? If you haven't see what I'm talking about look at Image 16 here:

http://www.darius240z.com/240z.htm

I am running a fuel cell too. 16 gal unit from Summit. I think that weight, foam filling and lack of corrosion are the big drivers, plus most (if not all) have built in sumps on the bottom.

Also, it gave me more clearance for the exhaust routing.

Tim

Couple of pics on my site.

Guest zconvert

Tim, I had actually seen your site, got it bookmarked now. So the sump is to keep enough fuel to stop fuel starvation I guess? I assume most of the fuel cell folks have external fuel pumps?