HybridZ

280Z CoilOver Conversion

hey guys...i've read some of the threads pertaining the above subject, but i don't recall anyone mentioning the necessity of shortening the strut...is it necessary to shortened the 280z strut when converting into coilovers? if so, how short? what type of strut cartridge should i use? what brand coilover to get and where? you answer to these questions is greatly appreciated. thanks...

-john-

Guest Steve-Z

A couple of pages back (page 3) on this forum there are two discussions of this topic. I agree with the other two writers; in that Ross C is responsive, so you can talk to him and figure out what you want to do. Just remember that you might have to correct the camber after you have lowered the car.

Good luck Steve

Hey Juan,

Did you have to cut the original spring perch off of the strut housing to use the coil overs? If so how did you do this?

Also does the red piece screw into the old housing? You have good photos on your web site but I would like to see a step by step photo process. Hey Ross if you are reading this it would be a big help if you had a customer's install on your coil overs like you do on the rear disk upgrade. :)

I'm still not sure if I want to go with coilovers. I may go with stiffer springs and good struts instead.

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Well Here is a photo of the strut and the 2 perches. It looks like you can get away by leaving the stock piece on and have the supplied steel perch rest at the bottom (maybe with some large washers.) I haven't done much looking into it but I posted more picture at the website with some captions.

Coilovers are easy to install once you have the struts removed. If you don't have a welder you can take it to be done at a local machine shop affordably to weld on the coilover perch.

In order for my 15 inch wheels to fit I had to grind down the corners of the Wilwood caliper and some large weld beads that met together down. it fits fine diameter wise. Perfect

I'm in the middle of getting this stuff installed so I will most definitely respond back with the outcome. I had some stiff springs and KYB struts and the car kept up very well with people running coilovers. My prescription for those who want a low stance and stock performance suspension is to stick with 14 inch wheels and like 215 55 14 tires. I'm not sure if they come in that size and I think they are all season. On top of that get a nice 3.9 diff from a 280zx 82-83 and the tranny as well. It has a tall 5th gear.

good luck Juan

Picture%201433.jpg

Picture%201422.jpg

Picture%201425.jpg

Nice pics Juan, glad our package is installed just fine for you! We look forward to hearing your drivers seat impressions :)

Georgia "Hey Ross if you are reading this it would be a big help if you had a customer's install on your coil overs like you do on the rear disk upgrade."

I actually sold a set discounted some time ago to a fellow site member who was going to do an install web writeup.........never did come to be, I know he's been busy but... :roll: anyhow, agreed, it would be helpful but it is an infrequent question. I send out install instructions with each set that meet most all needs.

Drop us an email directly sales@modern-motorsports.com and we'll let you know if we feel a non-coilover setup suits your needs or alternately, which coilover specifications would be suitable for your desires. I discussed the same questions with Juan and his subsequent answers led us to full agreement on his final setup.

ross...i got the rubber bushings i ordered from your co. except the front control arm bushings

Please email us directly 'toysport', via email we carry out individual requirements and support. Here online, we can't match your 'emailless' hybridz identity with an order etc,....drop us a note offline thanks.

Unless your '3 cards' pictured were 'broken' then the items noted would have been included. If you ordered a different combination then let us know in your direct email.

es_bushings.jpg

We look forward to hearing from you sales@modern-motorsports.com

lol...it's on back order. i'll wait 'till it arrives.

i spoke to one of your rep and advised me that i need to use the 240z struts onto my 280z inorder for the coilover set up to fit. is that true? are the 240z struts interchangeable w/ the 280z's? will there be any fabrications needed? if i'm going to use the 240z struts, should i need to section all four? appreciate the help.

lol...it's on back order. i'll wait 'till it arrives.

i spoke to one of your rep and advised me that i need to use the 240z struts onto my 280z inorder for the coilover set up to fit. is that true? are the 240z struts interchangeable w/ the 280z's? will there be any fabrications needed? if i'm going to use the 240z struts' date=' should i need to section all four? appreciate the help.[/quote']

Toysport, we've recieved no email from you tonight. Your above response and quoted advise from ourselves are not indicative of any recommendations we'd pass on. We have no bushings on back order and your coilover advise is certainly not ours! (not true by the way!) Are you positive it's Modern Motorsports Ltd. you're dealing with??? Direct email makes possible issues much clearer...