HybridZ

JTR rad support won't fit - why?!?

Okay, I'm just about at my wit's end here. I bought a Camaro radiator (Thanks again, Spotfitz!) and I have all the hoses necessary to install it. Problem is, when I finally found my JTR radiator support, the darn thing wouldn't fit! It measures 28 1/2" wide, and the frame rails are only 27 1/2" apart! It looks like it should drop down between the frame rails, but obviously it doesn't fit.

To make matters worse, I've packed my JTR manual, and it's sitting in somewhere in our storage space a hundred miles away! Could someone please explain to me where I'm going wrong? This thing IS supposed to drop between the frame rails immediately behind the radiator support, isn't it?

Thanks!

RPMS' date='

JTR redesigned the rad support to bolt to the bottom of the frame rail. Try it that way.

Wheelman[/quote']

Does the new and improved support have any holes pre-drilled in it?

Thanks,

Okay, I see what's going on here. I put slotted holes in the radiator support tabs and fixed it in place using the front tow hook bolts. Now that it's installed I can see that with the height of the Camaro radiator, there's no way that puppy could sit on top of the rails. If it did, the radiator would be too high up for the hood to close.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Carefull Scott, it could still be too high. Make sure you test fit the rad with the cap on and your hood on and latched. I welded my JTR part right to the bottom of the frame rail and used the Camero/V6 van radiator with the stock rubber mounts and it came out 3/8" too high and hit the hood.

Just a heads-up.

Carefull Scott, it could still be too high. Make sure you test fit the rad with the cap on and your hood on and latched.

Whoah! I didn't think about that! I'll check it this evening before I get home. You know, that sounds like something I'd do.

The JTR bracket is sized generously, width-wise, I guess to accomodate really thick radiator cores like the Griffin and BeCool's out there. The camaro radiator just kinda gets lost in all that space. How did you choose to secure the bottom of the radiator?

Thanks for the heads-up!

The camaro radiator just kinda gets lost in all that space. How did you choose to secure the bottom of the radiator?

Thanks for the heads-up!

Go to any junk yard and grab a couple of the stock GM rubber mounts from about any GM car. Some have little teets on them. Just drill a hole in the JTR bracket and pull the teet through. Some also have provisions to mount the the A/C condenser on the same rubber. Just cut that part off.

If you grab four you can mount the top in the same way. Now your rad is completely rubber mounted and isolated from the vibrations that cause radiators to crack and leak.

Maybe later I can post a pic if you need it.