HybridZ

Roll bars/body stiffner

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

I need some input here guys. I've got a 72 and want to put some kind of frame/body stiffners in it. I was toying around with the idea of exhaust tubing for the roll bar. Please keep in mind, I know the thickness of exhaust tubing isn't enough. I want it more for body stiffning and looks. I plan on having 8 mounts on it. Any thoughts? I'm running a 305 with a 350 turbo, stock r180 rear.

Guest 305240

I don't want a real roll bar. I want strut braces and stiffners that look like a roll bar. I just wanted to know if exhaust tubing was strong enough.

Guest 305240

that's why I was asking about the exhaust tubing. I read somewhere on this forum that they used electrical conduit for strut stiffners. That seemed kinda flimsy in my opinion. I just wanted some input. thanks for the reply

Guest bastaad525

Not to post hijack, but it's a related Q :)

A friend of mine wants to sell me a front anti roll bar (the one that goes underneath the car, not the shock tower one) looks significantly thicker than stock (I'm guessing 1/4 to 1/2 inch thicker just eyeballing it), and includes two new eurethane bushings. He wants $40 for it... is that a good buy? Will it noticeably help my Z's handling?

Guest gtmattz

no, i am not claiming to be an expert, but to answer bastaad525's question.. $40 a good dea? I think so. And it should cause a noticeable imporvement in handling. From the research I have done, a larger front anti-sway bar is a definite improvement, wheras replacing the rear seems to just induce more oversteer into our already twitchy cars.