HybridZ

Can I use the same distributor from NA on my Turbo?

Guest bastaad525

You can use the N/A distributor... I would avoid it like the plague if you're talking an old points type 240 dizzy though. I'm not sure of the specifics, Yo2001 from this board did it, using I believe a 280zx N/A dizzy... the good thing is that this allows you to take control of timing away from the ECU, if you know how to recurve them, which isn't hard. And you probably should do just that, as I would think the N/A dizzy will run too much advance for a boosted motor. Also, I do know you have to leave the vacuum advance disconnected, or at the least run some kind of one way valve in there to make sure that boost NEVER gets to the vacuum advance canister... I think Yo2001 said it would pretty much destroy it. I would think it'd be a pretty easy swap otherwise.

Guest bastaad525

hmmm... well... you wouldn't have to mess with it. You wouldn't have to rewire anything, and since the timing curve is controlled by the ECU, you could just let that be and not worry about it. Most guys run the '82-83 turbo distributor... I dont think either way is really 'better' though for a long while I thought the N/A dizzy was the way to go, because I liked the idea of setting the timing curve myself. But with the lack of vacuum advance, street driving can suck... my old N/A motor used to run like crap around town and backfire thru the intake a lot until I connected the vacuum advance then it ran like a champ. Now I say just stick with the turbo dizzy.