HybridZ

305 or 350

hi guys......i picked up a sbc last night in buena park, california. it's free, the giver said that this engine is there when she moved in and that her son in-law told her that its a chevy but not sure whether it's a 305 or 350.

on the engine block number reads gm3970010. how can i......or where to go to determine what's not. any help is greatly appreciated. -thanks-

Seems that it might be a 302 w/4bolt mains!!!

Wow that puppy could be worth some $$$ if it's rebuildable.

What you should do is try to find the car the engine originally came out of.

Drop me a PM and I'll get you in touch with sombody that know's 1gen Camaros like the back of his hand. If the car is on a historic registry then you may be able to contact the owner, who in turn could have his numbers matching car again, for a price :D

David

Seems that it might be a 302 w/4bolt mains!!!

Wow that puppy could be worth some $$$ if it's rebuildable.

What you should do is try to find the car the engine originally came out of.

Drop me a PM and I'll get you in touch with sombody that know's 1gen Camaros like the back of his hand. If the car is on a historic registry then you may be able to contact the owner' date=' who in turn could have his numbers matching car again, for a price :D

David[/quote']

.......what's so special about the 302? just curious.

The 302 is special cause it was the original z28 motor from 68 and 69. It's a very rare and desireable motor with a 4" bore and short stroke. The large bore allows it to use large valve heads and I believe it was also a high compression solid cam motor.

Not to be confused with the 307, which had a small bore and long stroke, came only in 2bbl configuration (I've never seen a 4bbl, but I don't know for sure they don't exist) which was a pretty wimpy, but reliable motor.

Also not to be confused with the modern 305, which also has a smaller bore than a 350 but apperently differs from the 307 in some manner, about which I am not clear. I'm sure a dozen people in here could school me as to why.

Anyway, congrats on the free motor. While a 302 would have been a great find, you'll be able to rebuild a 350 for less and get more power out of it.

okay....here's what i have discovered so far on my csb engine.

Head Casting #: 3986339X (1971 307 or 350 74cc chambers)

Block Casting #: GM3970010 (1971 307 or 350 - 2 or 4 bolt)

Block Casting Date: H 26 1 (H=August, 26= the 26th day of the month and 1 stands for 1971)

302: built 1969 4 bolt z28 camaro

327: built 1969 2 bolt trucks and industrial

350: built 69-80 2 or 4 bolt

all three shares the same block casting number

my csb engine is definitely a 350 2 or 4 bolt.....correct me if i'm wrong.

question: how will i know if it is a 2 or 4 bolt?

feedback......

AND....you have '10' block (look at the last two numbers of the casting number), which means it's the high nickel block, which were/are proported to be much stronger than the newer ones...

HP=likely not much....but you have a good platform to start with...

Tim