HybridZ

intake manifold coolant passage question

Hey, guys!

I'm about to replace the intake manifold gaskets on an EFI chevy 350 block. The gaskets have metal knockout plates in two places, and I'm wondering whether I should remove them out or not? The aluminum 305 intake I looked at had a blank space in this area, the 350 intake seems to have a coolant passage there.

Is there any reason I'd want to leave this in place? Of course, there are no instructions given with the gasket, and the repair manuals are silent as well.

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

:D Leave them in place. I believe they began putting them in to somewhat restrict the flow thru the intake on fuel injected motors, for what reason is a good question maybe someone else can chime in but gm engineers usually have a somewhat good reason behind their thinking..at least the powerplant group. cant say much for their body design people..

You may want to make sure that it is a water passage and not exhaust passage through the manifold. To be emissions compliant and re-vaporize the fuel that falls out of the mix, in the 70's they started routing exhaust through the intake right under the carb to warm it up. This improves HC emissions, but robs power.

There should be instructions with the gasket set as to which years need which restrictions (one, none, or both), but I usually block both of them if possible. What's the use of a cold-air intake if the intake charge is gonna be heated in the manifold by exhaust anyway?

Go one better and get an Air-Gap manifold, that way the runners are not even heated by engine oil splash...

my $.02

Bill