HybridZ

Which engine should I look at for my Z32?

CasperIV

It has 187,000 miles on it, and I want to start getting another engine ready to go in. The car is a 1990 300ZX NA, and of course I won't be putting another NA into the car, and started planning on swapping a TT in. Now, already thinking about an engine swap, I was curious if I should be looking into an RB26TT or something rather then the VG30DETT. Here comes the problem, I need the swap to be as fast as possible, because this car is also my daily driver. For a TT swap I only have a few wiring issues I have yet to figure out, but I don't know half of what it would take to do an inline 6.

Do you guys think it's worth going for a VG30DETT to save time, or do you have a better engine in mind? Note, I am not a mechanic, and would be doing some of it myself and paying the local import shop to do what I couldn't. I am also a college student who is broke half the time.

I am also a college student who is broke half the time.

I'd suggest just fixing the original motor and taking good care of it. Any swap will cost you more than someone who is half-broke should be spending on a car. Keep your education first and save worring about building up the car until you're out and have a steady income. Use that time to investigate your options and calculate your costs. Use the search function on this site.

CasperIV

No engine swap is straight forward or quick, I would research the VG30DETT swap on the various 300ZX sites as one of them has a full list of whats involved and you really need a smashed TT to get it all.

Someone has done a chev V8 swap, so use the search to track it down.

I agree with phantom a mildly worked NA motor would be the easiest and cheapest. Neil

Thanks for the suggestions. The TT swap shouldn't be too bad since the engine mounts are the same, and the NA transmission will bolt right up. I just have to grind the housing to accomidate the larger TT flywheel and shim the starter to get it to match. My biggest problem would be figuring out what else I need to move over...... It would be easier to buy a whole car that was wrecked, as you say, but that's hard to find.

In some cases its easier to sell the car and buy the car you want. On this side of the world the tt's are not much more expensive. Only $1000 - $2000 more. Thats NZ dollars as well. These things are cheep here now. I have seen good tt's for $6000. Very tempting.

Douglas

Guest bastaad525
I have never seen a good TT for under $10,000....... and my NA was only just over $3000.

And swapping a TT motor into your N/A car may end up costing you pretty close to the price of just buying a used TT car. I know it doesn't sound right but you would be surprised. A LOT of NA Z32 owners ask about swapping the TT motor in and the answer is usually the same, lots of hassle, very expensive, and in the end not worth it. I've seen some earlier Z32 TT's in the $7000-8000 range. And make no mistake, you got a good deal on your N/A, they usually go for more like $5000-6000 at least where I live.

If getting another Z is absolutely out of the question, look more at something easy to adapt to your current motor. Maybe rebuild your block but stronger, and throw nitrous into the mix? Safe, easy, effective, and way cheaper than either a TT motor swap, or buying another car.