HybridZ

Who's running stock exhaust manifolds?

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

At first I was going to drop a 302 from an early Granada into my 240. Then, I got a chance to get a 305/350. I was set to do the chevy swap. Today, I took another gander at the Granada. Both exhausts dump at the rear. The steering shaft is almost the same place as the Z. Rough measurements say I don't have to get a new/different oil pan. The heater hoses run in almost the same place. Things look relitively simple for this swap. I'm going to run the c-4 tranny,and adapt the stock shifter out of my 280. I'm pretty sure I can do this without spend an arm and leg. I'm not looking for gobs of HP or a launch from a drag racer. I know the 302 can be made to run and sound good. Some of you might call me crazy, but I got to have side pipes. I've always loved that sound.

Has anyone run the stock cast iron exhausts? Or, should I go with the block huggers? If so, what make? And, who makes a good set of black side pipes?

• 2 months later...

Some of the pics on the site the guy's have run stock manifolds, apparently this forum doesn't get much traffic or someone would have posted.

When I built my Z several years ago I used a cheap generic set of block huggers that I got from Southern Rod over in S.C.

I just cut some thick angle plates and drilled them for the ford motor mount holes and ran them foward and welded on some plates that would connect to the original Z car motor mounts. They aint purdy but have lasted OK ;^) .

I used a double sump pan from a Mustang, a remote oil filter and mount, pressure regulator for the fuel pump, new radiator with electric fan, (found it in the junkyard, it's a three row off a midsize pontiac), fabbed up the trans mount, cut the driveshaft, and ran new mufflers and tailpipes. I did it all for less than $1,500.00 including rebuilding the 302, but that's been about 15 yrs. ago.

The C-4 fits in well but that's one of the things I'd like to change when I re-do mine. It's geared to low for interstate cruising. The highest gear you can find for a Z car is around a 3:30 I believe. So I'm having an AOD rebuilt now to try to put in mine.

If I can help you with anything drop me an e-mail.

Adios Amigos,

Guest 305240

I've got the engine setting in where I want it. I'm using the stock 240 tranny cross member. I had to take the flat bar out of the middle of it so I could get the right angle using the ford tranny mount. I too am using the 240 engine mounting base. I am going a different route tho. it's basically a flat bar with 2 pieces welded on one end so it can slip fit over the mount. Then I can bolt it in two places to hold it there. I also am using one of the side pieces as a gusset. The granada mounts are the ones with the single bolt that points down. Another plate stacked onto the mount will work. The only problem I see so far is my passengers side stock exhaust manifold is real close to the frame. I may have to notch the frame rail for a tad bit of clearence.

Don't know if I'd cut on the frame, if you do make sure to reinforce it well. Southern Rods has their generic tight tuck headers for the SBF for $109.00 for the plain and $190.00 for the coated now. http://www.Southernrods.com is their webpage I believe. I don't know if this is the same header as the one I have, but the price is about the same.

I used the stock trans. mount holes but made up a new mount, just basically 1'' square tubeing with a 3/8 plate welded to it to catch the trans mount. I just bolted the angle to the motor and used the Datsun rubber mount on the other end. If I can ever figure out how to post pics I have one of the mounts out in the garage I can post a pic of. I made two or three when I did mine thinking I might sell a few but the liability of it scared me off.

Had a good day at the junkyards today, found a pair of T bird Turbo Coupe seats, spoiler and hood for my Son's old T Bird for a "C"note. The guy had a H0 5.0 out of a Lincoln LSC for $500.00 that I may go back and get next week. It has the AOD with it but it looks larger than a Mustang trans. Was the Lincoln AOD a larger unit?

Adios Amigos,

Guest 305240

The easiest way to post a pic in my opinion is use photobucket.com. It's super user friendly.

When you used the headers, did you have to alter the steering at all?

I tried to log on Photo bucket but it said something about they had the bucket full... would be down for awhile.

No the steering cleared fine on my Z, my buddy had to rework the same header to fit his ZX tho.

I had to use a remote oil filter and mount and a rear sump pan and pickup. If I had it to do over I would move the engine back about another inch for better clearance.

Adios Amigos,

Guest 305240

I must be doing something wrong. Then again, I always do something wrong. I went to their web site and they only show headers for chevys.

DUH! I just went back there. I discovered the arrow for the next page. This old timers desease sure vacumes at times.

Guest 2FordEZ

Capt Zorro

I'm using an '87 Lincoln Mark VII engine and AOD for my 240. I read (somewhere) that the Lincolns use a longer tail shaft than other AODs. I'm not sure how long, about 6 inches as I recall. I think the site was Lincolns online.

While I'm at it, does anyone know of a way to fab an AOD gear shift to a "Horseshoe" style like the old Camaros? Just thought it would look cool. Maybe I'll go with an extended "J" on the left (driver) side instead.

Take care

Coby

EZ,

Thanks for the info. Did you have to do any cutting on the floorboards on your AOD installation? Were you able to use the stock trans bracket location or did you have to reinforce the floorpan and move the mount back? I have a C4 in my Z now and am planning on changeing it out to an AOD if isn't a whole lot of trouble.

I'd check around the junkyards for one of the shifters and see how much trouble it would be to modify it to fit the AOD. I have a 2002 Lincoln LSE that has the select shift auto shifter that is sweet, but it's for a 5 speed auto. Might be able to modify one of these, but don't see many in the junkyards yet.

Adios Amigos,

Guest 2FordEZ

Capt Zorro

I haven't even started on putting the AOD in, so I haven't got any information for you about the trans bracket. Sorry :?

coby