HybridZ

headers

does anyone know if the hooker conversion headers fit the jtr kit?or can the hooker kit allow you to set the engine in the set back position? a few weeks ago i saw a 280z with the hooker conversion and he said that he could move the engine all the way to the firewall.i looked under the car and the headers didnt hang down too low and he also said that one of the pipes split so that you could have clearance with the steering shaft during the installation.can any one clarify this or has tried this at all?

Guest Anonymous

I saw a V8 Z car over the summer that had Hooker headers but I believe they were just Hooker blockhuggers. I contacted Motorsport Auto a few weeks ago and ask them about their full length headers and whether or not they would work with the JTR conversion. They could not say yes or no but did say they have a no return policy on V8 parts, so if they did not work one would be SOL...

Chris

MSA Long Tube headers work just fine with the JTR kit. I've got a VERY LARGE oem starter and it fit's fine with the long tubes. Getting the starter in and out, however, is an entirely different story.

I really don't think header selection is going to limit engine setback. Even the long tube headers allow me to set the engine all the way back to the firewall. In fact, it is very difficult (to the untrained eye) to notice any differences between a set of long tubes and block huggers. They can 'sort of' be seen from up top while looking down on the drivers side. But unless your looking for them specifically, you're not going to notice.

I tried to get MSA to cough up supplier names and part numbers, but they were reluctant. Do you blame them?

A '23 Ford T-bucket with a SBC sounds right to me. At that time I decided to go with long tubes, my father really wanted some birthday present idea's. I made it a little easier for him and just gave out the MSA #'s. I think I'm going to hit him up for the 383 conversion this year biggrin.gif

Not sure if my wife will agree though... frown.gif

-Andy

I had the Hooker kit in my car at first and then switched to JTR. The Hooker (Scarab) kit does not permit the setback of the engine due to the front motor mount design. And yes, one pipe slips out so you can get it around the steering shaft. Sorry, but he long tube Hooker headers did not fit after I made the change to JTR.

Here is an interesting article over on the Sanderson Header site http://www.sandersonheaders.com/letsgettech3.htm If you are not building a race car, you might fine block huggers perform better than long tube headers for the street.

i would like to thank everyone that answered to my question.im glad that i found people that have tried it already.i will look into the roadster headers but after reading speedracer's reply i wont really dwell on this as much.thanks again for all the info

Guest Frank280z

In the JTR book they mention a set of full lengths from a bucket t? conversion. I don't have the "bible" in front of me right now. Block huggers are cheaper in price though. And you can get into detail when you have your exhaust bent.STARTER CLEARANCE....Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.