HybridZ

SBC lightweight flywheel problem

WickedWild

I ordered a Hawks Racing Flywheel off of ebay, and this was the description. “This flywheel fits V6 and V8 Small Block Chevrolets using a 153 tooth Manual flywheel, it's drilled to accept a 10.5" clutch. This is a Zero Balance unit...will not work on SB 400, or late BB. This unit is zero (NEUTRAL) balance!†I got this to replace a severely cracked flywheel from my ’85 305 sbc. The fitment problem is that the light weight flywheel is thinner that my oem flywheel. The springs of the clutch area hitting the bolts that hold the flywheel in place, the clutch plate won’t even reach the surface of the flywheel. Did I just screw up and order for the wrong application? Did I get a bunk flywheel? Or maybe a mismatch of aftermarket parts?

Guest Phil1934

Performance discs have more springs so they are smaller. If you are using a factory replacement type disc, head to the local speed shop and look at a performance one to see if it would work.

This exact same thing happened to me, cuz I was using the stock clutch with a lightweight flywheel. What I did was grind down the bolts very slightly and then sanded down the inner recess of the wheel. After it fit fine. Hope this helps.

Jason

The same thing happened to me with my flywheel. I took the flywheel to a local machine shop and they machined an additional 1/8" off the inner ring.

That's what I did (only with a countersunk holes), that and they look a little off of the bolt also. $30 and now the block is bolted in.