HybridZ

LEXUS V8

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

SUP

I AM PLANNING A PROJECT 240Z. I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT WHAT ENGINE TO BUT IN THE Z. THEN IT HIT ME. IF YOU CAN PUT A CHEVY OR FORD V8 IN THE Z, CAN YOU PUT A LEXUS SC400 V8 IN THE Z TOO? I AM SURE THE LEXUS V8 WILL FIT SINCE ITS THE SAME SIZE AS THE OTHER V8'S. A SMOOTH REVING V8 IN A Z. YOU CAN BEAT THAT. QUESTION: WILL IT FIT? HAS IT BEEN DONE BEFORE, CAN IT BE A POSSIBILITY?

Welcome to the forum! You will find this a friendly place with good advice and information.

Yes, the Lexus swap has been done before, quite successfully. It looks like a clean swap and there is a picture of such a swap in the JTR manual. icon_cool.gif

Whatever swap you decide is right for you, buy the JTR manual and you will have a much easier time planning the different stages of the swap and knowing what to expect.

Also, please don't use all capital letters in a post unless you want to convey shouting. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, as Davy said, its been done in the JTR manual and I think I've seen a picture somewhere else of one although I can't tell you where cause I don't remember. Once its in there, its a sweet installation, but its a tad wider than your garden variety pushrod V8's because of the cams in the heads. I'm sure it'll fit, just not sure what sort of gyrations you'll need to do to get it in there. JTR mentioned that the guy had a year into the project, but who knows what thats means (maybe the guys slow as hell I donno.. icon_smile.gif ). Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Kinda new here. Thanks for the info. By any chance, is there anyone who can give me an internet address where I can find picture of the swap?

P.S Sorry about the all caps. I wasn't shouting though.

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello all, I am new to this site have just recently purchased 2 260z cars a 2 seater and a 2 x 2.

I am looking at bolting in the lexus quad cam V8. I am from australia what is this JTR magazine you guys were talking about with information about the engine swap?? If anyone could help that would be great. I know this is and old threat but any help or an email address or links would be very greatfull.

Thanks for your time I hope somebody has a good memory ;p

Maddat,

I think it cost me around $60.00 nzd to get the JTR book to NZ. Might cost you a little less. Its a good read but I dont think its going to help you out that much if you go with the lexus engine. The theory is simple, mount the engine as low and as far back as you can. You will up for custom mounts anyway. Have a look around the past post here. Its been done before.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

Maddat.

I picked up a copy of JTR's Datsun Z V8 Conversion Manual from the Technical Book shop(http://www.techbooks.com.au) 03-9663-3951 in Melbourne about a year ago. The cover price at the time was A$104.95. They do seem to carry it as a stock item. Re: engine swap's, I'm still debating which way to go myself. The Lexus V8 looks like a sweet choice but an RB20/25 Turbo seems like an easier option. Decisions, decisions !!

Have fun.

Thumpa.

I only get a red "X" for the pictures so this may be the same shot - Eric Neyerlin over at ZParts http://www.zparts.com/showcase/engines/pages/eng_lexus1.htm has a picture of a Lexus twin cam V8 in a Z car. :eek:

BTW, here is a link to "Jags That Run" (JTR) that publishes the Chevy V8/Datsun Z conversion manual. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/ carries it for US$30.69 (including shipping) but I don't know if they will mail it down under.