HybridZ

Arizona Zcar aluminum radiator lower hose?

preith

Did a search and couldn't come up with anything. It seems pretty simple, but it's giving me fits! :x Does anyone have suggestions as to what kind of L-series lower hose to use with Dave's radiator? I'm really surprised with the lack of support from him on this. According to his page, he recomends using a ZX lower hose but doesn't specify what year. When I asked him, he couldn't tell me. Victoria British lists a 79-81, and 82-83, tried the earlier one, but it fit poorly. Maybe a 280Z hose?

Just get a universal flex hose of the correct inside diameter. Finding a molded hose to fit may be difficult. The top hose requires the same, or you can use a piece of pipe and cut the stock upper hose into two sections.

Pete

Guest bastaad525

are the universal flex hoses more resistant to collapsing than a stock hose? I'm using the zx turbo lower hose... I haven't every seen it collapse, but I do still have problems with running too warm at high speeds, never in traffic though, and the hose isn't wired on the inside or anything, so it may be collapsing. It is a relatively new hose.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I currently have a flexhose running around the back of the alternator which seems to work pretty good. The only problem is I have a dual oil filter setup on the strut tower, and the hose rests against one of the filters a bit. The motor's on solid mounts so I don't think it's that big of a deal. But this also causes a tighter bend and I'm a little concerned about that as well.

I'm using the zx turbo lower hose...

Are all the ZX hoses pretty much the same? I don't recall a separate listing for the turbo models either. There was no way the 79-81 hose was going to fit without cutting an splicing, and even after doing that, I wasn't happy with it.

Guest bastaad525

As far as I know all the ZX hoses were the same. So should I swap out my factory type hose for a flex hose to eliminate any possible collapsing?

The problem with the flex hoses is you can't bend them real tight, no where near the moded ZX hose. What really sucks is if it's bent too much, the wire inside yeilds and kinks in that spot, at least the stuff I've dealt with. Also a shallower bend with the flex hose has got to have as much, if not more, resistance than a molded one.

bastaad525, you should name your car "He hate me".

Guest MistressMotorsports

I had a 90 degree elbow welded on my AZZC radiator, allowing use of the original stock hose. I'm not really sure why they don't just do this on those radiators when they make them as they're such nice pieces otherwise. When I bought mine, they suggested a ZX hose, but it didn't fit right, which is why I went with the elbow.

Mike

bastaad525,

I don't know if you have the stock radiator like myself but I had the exact same problem as yourself. On the highway at anything over 60mph the temp would start to creep up. In traffic it was good.

I ended up taking the radiator in to have cleaned out and flow tested.

They called me and said it was only flowing 40% of what it should. The only thing they could do was recore it. I had them put in a triple core as long as it was being replaced anyway.

Now I can keep it at any speed I want and the guage stays rock solid in the center. Best thing I ever did.