HybridZ

Another question....

From the way people responded to me running those aluminum rods i have, i have decided to sell them on ebay, and hopefully get enough money to buy some new steel rods, my question is if i run 6in rods which i really want to, will i be able to run the trw pistons i already have, do i just need to check to make sure i have correct deck clearance etc.., if i can not use those rods, i am having trouble finding a 327 piston for use with 6in rods in the say less than 500 dollar range. Any help would be great, but i would sure love it if i could use those dome trw pistons. Also those pistons are i belive .350 dome, if i be able to run those on a stock deck height 4 bolt 9.025 i believe. with a cam lift of around 510 - 530 with 1.5 rockers. Thanks a million for all the comments and opinions.

Wise move to sell those rods! I think Ali rods are only used in drag engines, I have never heard of them being used any any thing else so thet should give you a idea of there durability. As for the pistons, if the came off a 6 inch rod they will fit. If they didnt the wont. There may be a fix buy milling them but I am not sure that it wont remove to much metal. We are talking about milling around 3mm of metal. Seems like a lot to me.

Hopefully those that really know will jump in a set you straight.

Douglas

I'm not totally sure about the durability of those aluminum rods. I know they are used in drag engines mainly. I also know they reason they use aluminum is because they absorb the huge shocks put on the rods, because of the gobs of power made in each cylinder. I apologize if my info is not correct, but this is what I have read in a few magazines.

Absorb in the short term maybe, but remember aluminum is not malleable, it will break if abused. If these are in super pony engines, they are going to be trashed quite often, if not on every tear down, which could be every race depending what your talking about.

In a street car making under 1000 HP, why go with exotic parts, just get what is reasonable and what works.