HybridZ

ok I've searched and not found a CLEAR answer on this.... but

IF I swap in 87 z31 front hubs into a 240z do I need to upgrade brakes. The reason I ask this is because I'm broke and well I want to swap to 5 lug but can't afford a brake upgrade yet, plus I don't wanna goto the 4x4 setup cause why spend money on that when that's not my end goal? I eventually want jsk's hats with willwood calipers and rotors but can't afford any of that right now

I have a z31 parts car and this is the reason I'm asking. If I swap what will I need to do about brakes ? can't I just put a spacer on the rotor to keep it inline of the caliper or is it more than just that ? another reason I'm wanting to swap to the 5lug is on the z31 I have enikie rims 16x7 I think with 225 rubber. which in order for me to do any brake upgrade I need at least 15's... which currently I have a 14in rim :(

Please help!!!!! I can afford the 5lug rear next paycheck but can't afford new brakes yet... :(

I guess I'm elected to be the A-hole on this one...

Let's see:

If you are swapping to 5 lug hubs, you will have to change rotors - they slide on over the wheel studs.

This will necessitate changing calipers/brackets to line up with the new rotor position - which is moved outward with the Z31 hubs so you present brackets won't locate the calipers properly.

Why bother to utilize the marginal components of the 4 lug syystem when switching to 5 lug?

Why bother with 5 lugs if you're not looking for performance? Aside from the meager selection of reasonably priced wheels that fit properly on 4 lug setup (I DO like Panasports!), you can get adapters for other wheels if you're only after looks.

If you're gonna put a bad-ass LT1 in a Z then you better have the brakes to match...

Ok last time I remembered I don't see ppl switching to 5 lug for better brakes when they can keep their 4 lug and get just as good brakes....

so the whole why switch to 5lug if not for performance is bull. ppl switch because of wheel options not brake options. And as I've said before I'M BROKE which is why I'm not able to upgrade brakes YET. I've already stated I plan to go the jsk route with willwoods ndl's and vented rotors. (maybe I wasn't clear on that....)

also for the lt1 project THAT'S FAR AWAY, as I originally planned to build up suspension FIRST before I even start the swap.

Last I don't remember the rotors sliding over the studs but more or less BEHIND the hub .... then again I could be wrong as I've not taken mine apart yet.

And last Only reason I want to swap right now is because I have a donor z31 wheels and hubs for FREE and I can't upgrade brakes till I have 15's or higher and currently I have 14's so unless I upgrade wheels FIRST I can't upgrade brakes, which again is the reason for 5lug swap!!