HybridZ

plate or tilter/leveler??????

WELL PERSONALLY I think its a NO BRAINER!

Ive used PLATES in swaps done at some of my friends shops, in my opinion they flat out are dangerous and very difficult to use compared to a good engine tilter like this one below, while the plate seems attractive at $8 compared to $25-$30 or more for a tilter/leveler I have seen the plates destroy manifolds on two occasions by cracking carb mount pads and bending carb studs, especially if the intake is old with coroasion on the stud threads, (4)1/4" or 5/16" studs into aluminum intakes of questionable depth are no comparison to (4) 3/8" bolts into the cylinder heads, and the (4)head mounted 3/8" bolts are under shear and tension while the studs in the intake rely on the thread strength only

46044.gif

I now bring my own tilter/leveler when going to a friends to do an engine swap and have YET to find anyone who after useing one that did not go out and by one!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...itemnumber=5402

05402.gif

LOOK THEY ARE ON SALE FOR $25, they are rated at 4000lbs vs 1250 lbs for the plate and they make life far easier durring an engine install at $25 they are a GREAT DEAL[/b]

adding a swivel like this between the leveler and crane GREATLY AIDS THE ENGINES REMOVAL, DON,T GET STUPID or CHEAP, GET THE 3400lb rated one not the 1200lb size (REMEMBER YOULL BE UNDER THAT ENGINE SOMETIMES)

24055F-p.jpg

youll need two of these rated at similar load strength

190128.jpg

Guest 305240

Thanks for the info Grumpy. I'm getting ready to put my sbf into my 240. The tillar would be a great asset. Plus, I have a Harbor freight about 1/2 hour away...Poor me huh?

I'm at the point of being really confused. I have an 81 302 ford with an auto, and a 305 with a 350 trans. Which way to go? The ford doesn't need rebuilding as where the chevy does. I just want a cruzer out of it, not a drag special. Decisions, decisions. Makes this old head hurt.

Guest 305240

Thanks for the info Grumpy. I'm getting ready to put my sbf into my 240. The tillar would be a great asset. Plus, I have a Harbor freight about 1/2 hour away...Poor me huh?

I'm at the point of being really confused. I have an 81 302 ford with an auto, and a 305 with a 350 trans. Which way to go? The ford doesn't need rebuilding as where the chevy does. I just want a cruzer out of it, not a drag special. Decisions, decisions. Makes this old head hurt.

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

Guest 305240