HybridZ

Hardtop gto QUESTIONS? WHAT RIMS TO GET?

Guest 400HP280z

Guest 400HP280z

ok i am going to do the gto kit. i searched this site and the net and have a few questions. fisrt off i live in az so shipping is no biggie and i will be doing all the work myself including paint.

1. from what i've read so far , johns kit is the best. is this true?

2. i want a hardtop only. i'm not sure that i want the side windows blocked off like on johns site, whats the opinion on this?

3. what about dave at AZ Z car? he has a gto kit also and its $1000 cheaper than john's. any one have it or know the quality?

my idea so far is to have the old school look but modernize it with a updated Z interior, updated rims, and a exterior with less chrome (around the headlights and front). i also want it red with the red white green stripe.

for the guys with GTO's, how realistic are my plans so far?

I would definitely contact Tom at Scorpion Z Cars http://www.scorpionzcars.com/ as I think he has the best looking kit.

Sorry, I usually don't do this but I have heard only bad things about AZ Z Car and would never do business with them.

How you build it is up to you and your taste. I tend to like them closer to stock because the GTO has such a classic (and classy!) look as you can tell from my car

236622_1_full.jpg

Either way you are going to love the result. :wink:

Guest 400HP280z

AWESOME thanks for the info.

one more question for speedracer or anyone that knows. i want to keep the classic ferrari look but update it. i want nice rims other than the wires that are normally seen. what do you think would flow with the car? i want them to be a newer ferrari style but not take away from the car. the car will be a very WET red with the red, green, white racing stripe, various chrome SPECIAL real emblems/ badges, Z style interior with white faced autometer gauges, nice sporty seats( more comfort than sport) and a newer steering wheel.

ok so with all that info help me find some cool WHEELS.

OH AND I PERSONALLY THINK 17'S ARE THE LARGEST I WANT TO GO. any bigger and it will defeat my vision.

Guest 400HP280z

not really worried about period correctness. i have a set of 15" wires and personally wires aren't my thing. i'm looking for a newer style wheel likwe something off a 360 etc. if you look at a red 360 and see the headlight covers and window trim its black and clean...no chrome. the only chrome i want on the GTO is the gas cap and the emblems.

if you look at the car in this ad, try to imagine a gto updated to flow like this 360. similar rims and very clean and low key if you can use that word with ferrari. i love the classic lookof the GTO but want to create a car that pays respect to it but isn't a copy. kind of like the old ford gt 40 and new one......they are the same but different.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=2478798440&rd=1

• 1 year later...

The ebay link to the picture is not active anymore. Do you have any other pics? I have a Vello Rossa kit and I'm also looking to do something more modern with the wheels. I fell in love with the FastForward Mustang that was auctioned/donated on ebay and like the idea of taking the classic and updating it. I'm considering other modifications to the interior/exterior as well to add to the look. Since I'm doing the convertible, I'm not at all worried/interested in maintaining the "period" look.

Everyone has their taste but my biased opinion ...Block off rear side window, Dayton cross wire spoke wheels 15X8 in front and 15X10 on rear... and if you can get it to look about half as good as SpeedRacer's you have done well....the 250 GTO was thee class sports car of the 60's. (Cobra was a thug).... you wouldn't want a big tattoo on the Statue of Liberty's torch arm, now would you ?????? these modern large diameter wheels and no sidewall tires are starting to look like stagecoach wheels..... check out my "halibrand" style wheels on my Tomahawk.. This style came on 427 Shelby Cobras and Ford GT 40's but in my opinion would not look right on a 250 GTO http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=/392a

• 2 weeks later...

Alpha..... every once in awhile the cross lace Daytons come up on eBay and whatever adapters could be re-drilled for the Datsun application.. Adapters come up too.. There is not a strong auction market for the 15 inch cross lace when 600 spoke 26 inchers rule.. If I see any on ebay..I'll post.. the Daytons have stainless spokes but chromed outers that I hear rust if not religiuosly maintained.. The spokes are also sealed with a thick layer of silicone on the inisde of wheel which would cause a problem in later powder coating unless Dayton would later re-line the silicone seal.;. Daytons came with my Stable kit in Datsun 4 hole adapters.. Watch my posts (Yahoo pictures) since I will be putting my Tomahawk Halibrands on the GTO kit for fitment purposes unless I find tires for the Daytons which have never been mounted. My Daytons are 15 X 8 with the rears widely reversed. Had I known better I would have opted for 10 inch rears with 3 1/2 inch offset as I later did for the Tomahawk wheels http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=/392a