HybridZ

L28ET buildup

evildky

so I am planning on building a new short block for my car, just a fresh L28ET with a mild overbore as my spare block needs an overbore, the replacement nissan overbore pistons seem to be a bit pricey as in like $120 each, I seem to recall some have has custom forged pistons made for around this cost?

also I have heard that upgrading to arp head studs and nuts would be a wise investment, should I invest in the arp rod bolts and main cap bolts as well or will the stockers hold up to years of torture?

I am wanting a block that can handle 400hp,

with my current combo I am only around 230 acording to my estimated weight and the hp calculator,

I am sure it'll take me years to slowly reach the 400hp mark but I'd like to get it up to around 300 in the coming year and I'd hate to have to build the motor twice

any other advice before I start buying parts ?

Definetly go with the forged pistons, I'd reccomend ross. Never used them...infact I have venolias in mine, but I won't ever go that route again (if you want to know why, e-mail me, I don't feel like going into it here). I went with ARP rod bolts, main studs and head studs. You can live without the main studs, but it's worth it to have a little extra insurance. Other than that...there isn't much you really need to do to the botom end. I polished my rods because I had the time, but it's not really needed at the 400hp level. You can go crazy and have this and that shotpeened and your crank knifedged and so on...but it's not neccissary, just a plus. I think the biggest thing is to have a good efi computer to control things and to keep fuel and ign. in check. Also, invest in a quality set of gauges. And to me autometer isn't quality. I've had good luck w/vdo and they have been very accuarte. I bought an autometer boost gauge and it's terribly off compared to my map sensor and the vdo gauge. (I kept them both installed to see how accurate it was). I only tried the autometer because I wanted a gauge that read both vacuum and boost and went past 25psi and VDO doesn't make one.

James

I won't know till the 28th of this month. I've had problems after problems on this buildup. Got everything running and was getting ready to turn the boost back up and tank full of octane and decided to rinse the car off. Well, managed to fry my coil pack drivers. Just got the new one in the mail today. I'm shooting for high 11's and have a hope for some lower times than that, but I don't have a cage in the car, so we'll just see what happens. Anyways, I plan on running 25psi but I wanted a guage that read higher that way I knew if I was getting any kind of spikes or anything dangerous like that.