HybridZ

mechanical secondaries?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I did some searching for carb info and saw the same comment a few times.Seems that the Z is too light for vacuam secondaries.My very mild 406 (5000 rpm)has a 600 vac holley and ran very well in my 6000lb truck.I hate to spend money where I dont need to,but if the trans(700r)is going to shift and drop the rpm before the carb ever even wakes up,I might as well be running a 2bbl.I'm thinking a 650 double pumper is the ticket.Its the throttle response I'm looking for. :confused: Grumpy?

I would also be interested to know if there would be problems with a vac secondary carb on a Z. I have a 750 vac secondary for my 355. I was under the impression that I could get all the adjustment I needed out of the spring? If the vac secondary will not work you can always replace the plate and change the vac secondary to a mechanical secondary.

I have run the Holley 750 double pumper and the Edelbrock 750 and both carbs worked fine except for the Holley makes more power. I have no dyno numbers to prove it just the seat of my pants feel when romping on it!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Hey Z fan,do you recall what the difference was in throttle response?I imagine the Holley came on right away.Did you feel a lag time with the vac secondary carb?I know I have the the lightest spring in the diaphram on the Holley,but it does'nt respond as well as my DGV Webber on my datsun(mechanical).A lousy comparison,but its all I have.Most of my carb experience is with Webber syncronous 2bbl's(IDF/IDA/DCOE).I dont think I have ever even driven a car with a Holley dbl pumper.Any comparison better than mine would be most helpful.thanks cheers.gif

Holley double pumper comes to life instantly and rather rudely I must say. And that's a good thing!

Edelbrock just didn't seem to pack the same wallop.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info,I found a good discusion on this topic in the carb section bonk.gif (duh!)I know a lot of this stuff is pretty redundant.My motor is pretty much stock except a 268 Comp cam,springs,threaded rocker studs,Edelbrock performer and Hooker street rod headers.Anybody have a good or rebuidable 650dp for sale? 2thumbs.gif