HybridZ

Full fiberglass Pantera hatch

Dan Juday

I got an e-mail from John Washington saying that if there is enough interest he would consider developing a one piece fiberglass Pantera style hatch as an addition to his newly released stock design fiberglass rear hatches.

So.... any interrest?

Guest myth66

I'm definately interested I'm also unemployed. So you probably shouldn't count my opinion. then again maybe I'll have a job by the time he's through developing it? :?

Guest 280ZX_Classic

What is the big difference between the one piece and the one now that just drops into the window glass frame? Either way I want one, as long as he can make it fit the 280ZX, so if the price is anywhere near reasonable count me in.

The difference is body work. With the drop in one your steel hatch has to be cut. The section between the lower edge of the window and to a point just below the latch button has to be removed and then the fiberglass piece is bonded in and finished. Johns hatch would come ready to finish and paint. It would be lighter and free of worries that cracks would develop where the fiberglass is bonded to the steel.

Currently John is seeking to gauge the interest for first generation cars only, '70-'78. He already has a successful mold for the stock hatch that could be modified to produce a Pantera version. Convincing him to start from scratch on one for the S130 could take some doing. (read $$$)

John sells his "ready to bolt on" hatch for $350 + shipping. I would expect to pay more for a Pantera version. When you compare his prices keep in mind that his quality is superior and requires very little body shop time to finish as compared to his competition. Often a cheap piece of fiberglass can end up costing you more once you pay your bodyman to "fix" it.

Guest zline

well..

im interestedin the OEM hatch but the option for pantera style is coolt oo..

it seems like a lot of the guys who have the hatch already dont want it reproduced to keep theirs original which i think is really not fair (unless they're joking)

i wouldnt buy one, as i am getting the OEM hatch, but it would be cool to have a mold for one available for the guys that do

Guest Drewz

Intereseted here Dan. Would like a ball park figure and some specs/pics. Would be a good idea if you are trying to check interest to post some links to pics of stock and custom Z's with this option. Just a thought!! :idea:

Guest Drewz

Ya good to meet you, sort of, Dave. The minimum order thingy dampens things for us but we do have a few guys looking hard. Price is definately right. Group buy in guys??? Give Dave some incentive?? Just throwing out a bone here..... :shock: