HybridZ

Distributors - yes again...

Okay, I'd asked for an HEI to be shipped with my motor and then discovered here that what I'd asked for probably wasn't ideal. Surprise, it didn't ship with an HEI so I'm in "luck" sorta' :-)

Obviously I want small to tuck this sucker right up to the firewall. I also want a vaccum advance. I'm not running EFI yet so I'm not sure the small cap stock distributors will work - no? I thought they were computer only.

So, how does the MSD-8474 from Summit look? Or the Performance Distributor from the DUI guys look? http://www.performancedistributors.com/duigm.htm They take your motor specs and custom curve it so... The MSD looks to be physically smaller though. Holley has a 890-100 HEI that looks liek it might be able to be used with an EFI later on and is cheaper than both of the previous two. Summit has a stockish HEI too in the $149 range and lastly MSD has a still more expensive stockish looking HEI.

My primary concerns are size and enough parts interchange that I won't get stranded halfway to Florida and be forced to wait for th eFedEx guy to bring me something "special" (coughMallorycough:-)

Thanks for the guidance guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the original stock distributors, with points, have small caps so they are not computerized. What I did was buy a rebuilt early 70s points distributor, which is extremely cheap by the way, and converted it to electronic with a pertronix ignitor kit which you can get from summit. There is no black box to mount with this setup- it's all in the distributor. I have not touched it for two years, after I put the recurve kit and adjustable vacuum advance on. I like the stock distributors because the centrifucal weights are right on top so changing the curve is incredibly easy.

With this setup, you can just throw a $3 points kit in the glove box and if the pertronix system fails just put that on and you are on your way. By the way I am told the pertronix is very reliable, and has been for me so far.

Guest Anonymous

Yup, I was gonna suggest the same thing. I've seen several of these in operation for several years and they work great (Pertronics). Its so darn foolproof. The points are replaced with one small black squarish sender and a deal slides over the distributor shaft that has little magnetic lobes that pass by the sensor. No external boxes, thats it. And as Rob said, for backup you put some points in the glovebox/trunk whatever and your never electrically stranded. Use a hot coil, recurve the distributor cent. advance if you like and your done. Hard to beat.

Lone

Hrm, okay food for thought. Gawd I hate this mechanical stuff though :-) I'm so much more comfortable when there's a computer doing it all for me! We'll see - car is still in paint jail and my flywheel has only just show up out at Kieth Craft. So close!