HybridZ

Twin Cam Mopar Hybrid 2.5L

Greg55_99

Those motors can be awesome, but why not just use the existing Turbo 3 motor? I know they're a little harder to find and aren't super cheap, but no fabricating needed. Now one plus is there is more support for the neon head but the 16v lotus head that came on the turbo 3 cars is no slouch. I guess the biggest drawback of either setup is fwd. Or is that what that last link was about...converting to RWD??? If so, sound pretty interesting. I've been helping my buddy build an omni drag car using a heavier worked over motor than what was in his spirit(12.04 in the 1/4 mile and looking for an eleven this year) Goinfg for mid 9's in the omni. RWD would definetely make our goal much easier, and possibly allow us to run low 9's.

James

Hello James,

It's my understanding that the Turbo 3 Lotus heads have a tendency to crack... and also tend to be very hard to find. The Neon heads can be found in any boneyard pretty cheap. And yes, that last link shows that a Supra Turbo tranny can be hooked up to a 94-95 Dakota bellhousing to put the 2.22.5 into a RWD configuration.

Greg

The reason they crack is easily fixed. They have steel casting plugs down the center that in most cases were sunk too far into the head on assembly at the factory. So to prevent this your pull the plugs out and replace them with aluminum plugs and don't sink them past the proper level. Like you said tho, they are a little hard to find, but far from impossible. The guy I mentioned that we're building the omni drag car happens to have 3 of them...lol. That last link is one I'm going to have to do further study of. The idea has lots of possibilities. As far as then neon head, you're right, a dime a dozen and you have the plus of a little more aftermarket support. I'd just hate for someone to rule out the idea of just using the Turbo 3 head if they could find one because the design it just flat out awesome.

James