HybridZ

Rocky Mountain Hy(brid)

John Scott

Ever have one of those mornings when you pass up the work vehicle and head staight for the Z? Mine was wagging its tailpipe as I entered the garage, so I figured, Friday, why not. Afternoon I ended up blasting through the hills behind Ft.Collins from Horsetooth reservoir to Masonville and back to Greeley. Lots of extreme grades and really sharp twisties and light traffic. Early on, two cycle guys tried to play catch up....sorry. My power to weight must have been better, not even in the straights! Those on a budget would appreciate the simple upgrades of ArizonaZcar springs, MSA swaybars front and rear, KYB struts, MSA f/r strutbars, Phantomgrip, Falkens, and Hawk brakepads with Ford HD truck fluid. Its nice to have unlimited Z budgets, but this works great for spirited canyon carving.Topping off the drive home, a few miles out of Greeley, a Honda with blowoff valve Phhhhht and engine revving pulls up alongside. The driver, cocky kid, points to my car and then over his shoulder. He drops a gear and punches it, BaHWaaaaaAAA. I pulled from sixth to to third and then fourth. A few seconds I heard the rev limiter stutter @7000 and 140 mph. Honda was a pea in the rearview.. and still had two gears. Its pathetic how much these guys pour into their cars with dogdish tachs, sewer pipe exhaust, fiberglass geegaws and pricey ineffective engine parts. I see his car at the local Rice shop. I hope he has the juevos to tell it like it happened. Yeah, I know there is always someone faster, but I'm still waiting. They're probably hiding in a garage under a cover.

Upgrades are on hold as my concrete contracting is coming to an end in July. 27 years has ruined my wrists, now bone on bone. Bummer, got to figure out another way of paying the bills. In the meantime started a new garage addition for the Z :D Well, back in the garage for a week or so. Happy Hybriding!

John

Great story.... I moved from Denver to Iowa almost 3 years ago, and miss almost everything about CO.I am hoping to drive my Z back there next spring for a visit, and I will be cruising the mountains some as well.. havent done that in almost 15 years.... Will be fun to show various friends what I was raving about when we talked about cars. A couple of vettes in particular need some pacing to take their owners down a peg or two... lo