HybridZ

scarab kit, anyone running an electric fan with scarab kit ?

I used a summit aluminum radiator (19X26) in my 280ZX/350sbc swap with a summit electric fan. Cheaper than griffin and blackmagic, but works great. The only problem with the fan is it doesn't come with a shroud. I'm afraid of losing fingers!

Hot texas afternoon, right on t-stat at 180*, even in heavy traffic.

MikeJTR, has me thinking of more on the fly engineering. buying the $140 radiator, to go with the taurus fans ( yes, i now have two. it was suggested to me, i had the wrong year. went to the wreckers got one out of a 91 taurus. slightly offset, unfortunately, it doesn't clear the water pump either ).

the zirgo fan arrived today. fits real nice ( hand held it in place ). only covers a portion of the radiator, makes me wonder if it will do the job.

2670 cfm. 4.5 amp, 96 watt peak, 55 watt output. website says it'll work fine. there isn't a shroud, and i think that is what makes the taurus fan work so well.

labrat, do you remember what the cfm is on the fan you are using ? is it a 14 or 16 inch fan ?

i'm guessing, you are running the summit 2 core one inch core tubes.

i am probably going to end up buying the radiator from mike, drive up to livermore and pick it up.

meanwhile, i will try the zrigo fan. see if it will work with the 4 core brass and copper radiator.

wayne

• 2 months later...

Wayne, did you get this fixed yet?

Glad to see MikeJTR is on here!

I have that Camaro Radiator that Mike has in the JTR book - works fine. I used a Mustang GT fan (1989). I believe the motor is the same, the blade may be different, but the "shroud" is round. I believe the Taurus fan is better to use because of the shroud.

Wayne, one thing to consider on that aftermarket fan. It pulls only 4.5amps. The Taurus/Mustang fan motor pulls 15 on low, 35 on high. ASSUMING the motors are of similar efficiency, the Ford fan is capable of much more power at the shaft. If the blades have the same efficiency, then the amount of air it can move is greater than the aftermarket fan.

My philosophy is that the OE's have to make sure their cars won't overheat, even in the worst situations. The aftermarket - what kind of liabilty on the usefulness do they have to offer?