HybridZ

alternator upgrade question

Guest VertexZ

Guest VertexZ

Ive just picked up an alternator from an 1987 R31 Skyline (Aussie Car) with the RB30DE motor.

The housing is the same as the 260Z Bosch type ones so it will bolt straight in. It is a 70A one rather than the 55A of the stock one.

One question:

On the 260Z one, there are no wires coming from the alternator brush assembly, but on the Skyline one there are two wires (white/light blue and white/black)

what are these wires for, and do i need to connect them anywhere for the alternator to work? If so, where?

I think the 260Z brushes fit in, and look as though they make contact in the same spots on the skyline one, not 100% sure though.

also, whilst I'm at it, what is the little black box on the back of the alternator?

The 260Z has a slightly different setup with that too - there is a T plug that goes into the D+ slot in the standard alternator.

thanks

jeremy

this is the Skyline alternator:

r31alt.jpg

Guest Zachb55

What does that White/Blue wire connect to? the case? if so thats your ground just take it to a good groun on your engine bay. and the other would have to be your power outlet, that just goes to your battery, its usually the white/red wire in a Z.

-Zach

Guest VertexZ

white/blue is power

black is earth

just need to know about the 2 wires coming out of the brushes - where do they go and/or do I need them connected.

Guest Zachb55

you might check on a skyline site about this, but if its wired anything like the GM Alternator i swapped into my car then those are for a charge light or some kind of resistor. Is that alternator internally regulated? if so the you should only need the power to the battery, the ground to earth, and some kind of resistance on the other ones. maybe someone who is familiar with those alternators willchime in, but your best chance would be studying up on that specific alternator.

-Zach