HybridZ

I might be getting a Z... part 2

Slade

Ok, got another situation; if ya'll are willing to help me again. :D

I decided to make another thread as I didn't think it would be necessary to ressurect it, but the link to my previous thread is here.

Well the previous deal I had wasn't exactly what I wanted so I passed on it. I kept wishing and hoping that I would find a good deal again, but finding a decent Zcar is a lot harder than I thought. Long story short though, my dad is out of state for business, which has increased my searching region; LA to be exact. He told me since my birthday is coming up, he would help me find the Z that I want. So, I found this Z:

00001348E07.jpg

(click on pic for ad)

It happens to be that Laguna Niguel is exactly where my dad is at so he went today to test drive it. One thing to note: he never has liked the car too much, or any that old for that matter. He's not much of a car guy. That being said, he said that from 1 - 10, he gives it an 8. Surprised the hell out of me. He said that the only minor things to consider are dings on the driver's door, a few small cracks in the dash, worn driver's seat and rear carpet, and the fact that it isn't power steering. Other than that, the car seemed pretty straight; no mods, and all original equipment. He checked for rust and said he couldn't find much, if any; but the underside looked as if it was coated with a lining for protection or something so he couldn't tell under the car. The guy is the second owner for about 11 years or so, has 146k, 5-speed, working ac, and has pretty new tires. Asking price on the website ad is $3,400; but my dad said he said the price was $3,200.

So is it worth the asking price? I was going to tell my dad to offer him $2,600 and no more than $3,000; can't afford too much cause I would have to pay to transport it here to Texas, pay for registration and plates, insurance, etc. which will bleed me dry for this month. So pretty much I'm asking for any advice or things to know for my dad can look out for since I am not able to see the car in person. Thanks for your guys' time.

Check for rust under the battery tray, most Z's are victims to this. Next is check the floor boards for rust too and check the frame rails. Then check the area around the hatch on top of the taillight and the hatch itself. There's a couple of more things but im sure others will chime in.

Also check the inner fender well towards the rear of the front wheel well were the inner fender meets the frame rail. There is a small reinforcement patch spot welded there that tends to trap moisture and rust out the frame rail. A lot of 240's rust out here, but most 280's are Ok. The car looks pretty good though, if you can get it for $3000 or less, I say go for it. Keep an eye on Ebay as well, sometimes you can get lucky and score a Z for pretty cheap, look under "parts cars" as well as just "Z series", sometimes you'll find more cars that way.

Mike

Hey you could take a cheap bus from Texas to Cali, pick up that car, and drive it back home! I dont have room in my place (1 year old kid), but im sure someone around here would put you up for a night! I say buy it and drive it home! Nice car btw. :D

My dad is going to go look at it tomorrow (or today since it's morning) and make him an offer. Good thing is that where it is is like a couple of blocks down from my aunt. So if I go there myself, I can stay with her.

I would love to go anyway, just for the heck of it. Laguna Niguel and that side of Cali is beautiful. To bad texas is muggy and hot; that and endless pastures of cows is not my idea of vacationing. :D