HybridZ

T5 Installation Questions.

namz7791

I am ready to go with my SBC and 89 WC T5 into amy 77 Datsun 280Z 2+2. It appears that there is no good way to fill the T5 once it is in the car with the Dextron 2 or equivelant. If I fill it before hand it will leak out when I install it :x .

If I take my yoke off my driveshaft to install the filled tranny then I would think that it would still leak while I am getting my driveshaft sized since I will have to have the yoke for the driveshaft shop. I checked with my local auto salvages and no one has a drive shaft that I could cut up in order to have a spare yoke.

How did the rest of you manual shifters fill your T5's? Does anyone make some form of disposable plug for the tailshaft of the tranny's? How about duct tape? :?

Thanks for the input!

Guest Phil1934

I haven't filled mine yet in the Z, but I used to top it off in the Firebird with a squeeze Mustard bottle from the kitchen store.

What? None of you guys know about a tranny fluid pump? :?

Cheap plastic pump with 18" of 3/8" clear plasic tube stuck to it. It screws onto the top of the bottle. You buy it at any auto parts store right next to the tranny fluid for $5 and if you break it or lose it when you get done, big whoop.

The plugs on the T5 are easy to get to. The T56 is a little tougher.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason84NA-T
What? None of you guys know about a tranny fluid pump? :?

That's exactly what I use, you can also fill it through the shifter hole if you have not put the shifter on already; works fine but takes a little while.