HybridZ

250 GTO replica value

Guest ashokn225

Guest ashokn225

Hey guys

Im new here and this is my first post, so id like to say hey to everyone here. This is truly an awesome forum with regards to how much information someone can come by.

I have been seriously considering doing a 250 GTO conversion on a Z, dont know which one yet, but hopefully not a 240Z since I feel those should not be altered. Most likely I will try and put in either a jag V12 or bmw V12 to keep the authenticity of the gto as close to the real thing as possible ( I wish I could afford a ferrari V12, but right now I can't). My question is regarding the interior of the car, and the resale value with regards to how I finish the interior. I have seen GTO replicas sell anywhere from 15,000 to 250,000. Now, the 250k ones are usually GTO replicas made on a real ferrari with a ferrari V12, so that is not an easy task to do, but ive noticed that the interiors on those are identical to the original as well ( barebone interiors more or less-very cheap to replicate) And the ones that sell cheaper are usually very "nicely" done interiors with leather inserts and what not. Here are two good examples of what im talking about. ( the second one is not for sale, but is an excellent example of what im talking about):

http://www.exotics4less.com/specials2.cfm?id=340

http://modelsport.genesishobby.com/gto/

Not that im looking to immediately sell the car or anything, but if I had to, what do you guys think would have a higher value?

Thanks

Ashok

Guest ashokn225

by the way, to the person whos car it is I posted as the second link- very nice car and I noticed you put it on cardomain.com and people were offering you upwards of 60k. Did you ever get a chance to sell it to them at that price?

Ashok

Guest ashokn225

WHOOPS

lol, sorry about that guys...i mentioned that the one i posted was the one on cardomain...i was wrong. Thats speedracers car. speedracer, i meant to ask you whether you ever sold it to either of the people who offered you 60 and 80k?

Guest JAMIE T

SpeedRacers GTO is probably the finest example of a Zcar based replica you will ever see. I've seen lots of them forsale, BUT, few SELL. I passed on one that needed to be re-done about 3 years ago. They wanted $8K for it and it was a stock L6, stock suspension, stock interior, etc... Paint was old, and the Dayton wires were in bad need of re-finishing.

Those prices have nothing to do with the interior. One is claiming to be an almost exact replica of a true 250 and the other is a Datsun with a body kit. No disrespect intend to the owner of the Z car it is truly a well done project.

Guest ashokn225

I know exactly what you are talking about jamie t. all of those 8k cars are half-ass done jobs. nothing more than a Z with a body kit. Its the little things that turn a body kit car into a valuable replica IMHO. speedracers car is not as good as we all claim it to be because of the kit. anyone can slap on a kit, get it molded and paint a car. its the little things that make a car what it is, especially a kit car. his interior, the gto dash, the steering wheel, the cleanly done install of his interior equipment make it what it is. his engine, the V-8 which is not any V-8 just slapped in, but it LOOKS good....one of the cleanest installs ive seen for a V-8. That is what makes his car stand out.

That car for 250k is so much because it claims to be an exact replica...its the little things that set that car apart and put it into the 'exact' replica group. its the little things that turned speedracers car from an 8k car into a 60k+ car ( that is what people offered him at least ). I think the suspension, the brakes, the drivetrain, and most importantly the interior and engine install, especially if it is a V-12, all contribute turning a datsun with a kit into a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO exact replica.

This is just my opinion and I have come to this with the research I have done. To all of those who have just put on a body kit and nothing else, I mean no offense.

( btw, I would still like some opinions on the interior lol :wink: )

thanks guys

Ashok

Welcome aboard Ashok.

The value of any kit or modified car is what you do and how you do it and whether it is done to suit yourself or what apeals to others.

Of course any rebodied Ferrari 330 or 275 is going to be worth megabucks if done as per the original 250 GTO.

When talking about the datsun kit, it is only a lookalike not a replica, as a closer examination reveals many body discrepencies. Most tail light and dash kits aren't much like the original.

As to V12s I suggest you do a search because while it draws a great wow factor, the weight distribution spoils the handling of a good car.

To finish off we've had a couple of modified L6 powered GTO kits sell around Aus$30,000 or about US$20,000.

Just dont expect to spend $20,000 and have a car worth $50,000.

All the best. Neil

Guest ashokn225

Well most of the time, a buyer wouldnt consider the weight distribution when considering to buy a v-8 250 or a v-12 250. Unless they really know alot about cars and are looking for maximum power and are a tuner themselves, then i think it is rare that someone would chose a V-8 over a V-12 in a GTO, because it gives the 'lookalike' more authenticity.

I dont really " expect" the car to be worth 50,000. But if the job is as well done or better done than speedracers car, i think it definitely can be worth 50k or more. If you read speedracers guestbook on cardomain.com then you will see that two people offered to buy his car- one for 60k and one for 80k. Just a thought.

Ashok

Hi Ashok and thanks to you and the others here for the nice comments about my car. : 8)

First, I never considered the $60,000 and $80,000 offers to be real. Those people never actually contacted me except for the comments in the guest book on the CarDomain web site. The car is not for sale but a legitimate offer in the $60,000 to $80,000 range would make it disappear out of my garage in a New York minute!

Second, I have had what I consider legitimate offers around the $35,000 range. I had one guy who saw it at the Woodward Dream Cruise that has, over time, made four offers and increased the offer each time. I have it insured with Hagerty for $35,000 so I guess you might say that is what I consider the car to be worth. However, in the end, it is only worth what you actually sell it for.

I have all the receipts for the car but never added them up - I don't want to know and I certainly don't want my wife to know! My gut feel is that I have almost that much in the car without counting the many, many hours it took to build.

The FIA rules would not let Ferrari change the windshield angle on the car. The GTO was based on the Ferrari 250 SWB (Short Wheel Base). The end result on the real 250 GTO is a very long low hood but the windshield stands up quite straight because, although Ferrari lowered the hood, they had to keep the same angle to the windshield. The real GTO is an awesome looking car, and Enzo would probably roll over in his grave, but IMHO the GTO Datsun based kit looks more proportionally correct.

As far as the interior goes I used the components I did because I wanted to be comfortable driving it. It was not intended to be a "trailer queen" so some things had to work well like heating, ventilation, and seating and have reasonable sound insulation. There is a more GTO like dash the Jim Simpson offered but it did not accommodate the vents or use the original steel structure so I went with the original Alpha type dash that I purchased from John Watson. Although the exhaust is quite loud the car is very comfortable to drive. It rides well and doesn’t have any squeaks or rattles. Best of all it is really quick!

If you are truly interested in building one I would contact Tom Edwards at Scorpion Z Cars http://www.scorpionzcars.com/ Tom's kit offers the later McBurnie nose and a few other minor revisions that make his is a little more like the real GTO's. Also, he offers a trunk kit. If there was one thing I would change on my car it would be adding the trunk.

And last, don’t build it for the money, build it because it is a blast to drive and always has a crowd around it at shows or wherever you park it. :D:D:D

Guest JAMIE T

I agree with SpeedRacer. The Datsun based replica IS more asthetically pleasing to look at than the "real thing". Having seen both side-by-side, originality aside, the Datsun "Kit" was better looking proportionally. NO ONE wanting to build a Datsun based replica should intend to make it an "Accurate" replica. It's not gonna happen. Build one from scratch if you want to build an "Accurate" replica. Don't use a body-kit type kit. At some point, I'm going to build a Datsun based replica myself. I love the way they look when done nice. I'll get to that project when my 240Z is done, and my John L. Hacker designed 1923 Gold-Cup mahogany race boat is done, and my Chopper is finshed. It'll be awhile...

• 1 month later...

thanks speedracer for the refer to my site http://www.scorpionzcars.com anyway i wanted to mention that my kits are modified from jim simpsons rhino gt kits and this year at knotts berry farm show i won the best manufactures trophy for this kits class. and all of those extra things that make the gtz /gto kits complete i sell them also .look at the detail in the black gtz on my site $7000.00 of italian leather just to start on the interior and my custom dash as well with my custom shiftgate looks right at home.

tom @ scorpionzcars

425 353 0394