HybridZ

A bit out of place but I figured what the heck, Ford V6 Q's

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I'm really not to knowledgeable about fords, but am looking at this old ford LTD wagon that will be going for sale VERY cheap, and I need a spare car.

Anyways, it's an '86 with a V6 engine and 3 speed auto trans. Does anyone know if this engine or tranny are reliable or are they junk? It looks to have only about 110k miles on it (odo only reads 5 digits). I know I've had cars with the Chevy 2.8L V6 in it and they are JUNK, just wondering how the ford V6 holds up?

Thr tranny is probably a C4 and they are a pretty good tranny. I would pull the trans dipstick and look at the fluid. it should be red and not smell burned. Start the car and put it into gear. There shouldn't be any hesitation when it goes into gear. I don't know squat about ford V-6s though. I would guess since that its an 80's car you take your chances, but for three hundred, it wouldn't have to last forever. and it doesn't take too long to get $300 worth of use. I had an '86 LTD (tank!) I drove it for about six months and traded it to my grandson for labor reroofing my house. One other thing, do you know why it was towed?

Guest bastaad525

guy was arrested, not getting out for a while, dont know the details, car goes into gear immediately, with no hesitation, and a nice soft shift, not a lurchy clunky shift.