HybridZ

MSD 2225 inline fuel pump failed-- OEM replacement?

Sean73

In a a standard surge tank configuration, I am running a MSD-2225 EFI inline fuel pump in the engine bay of my 73 240ZT.

The pump failed a couple days ago, at the parking lot of Autozone of all places. I went in to Autozone, and I found that a 5.0 Liter 1988 Lincoln town car uses an identical-looking fuel pump, except the Lincoln uses a 1/2" feed, whereas the MSD uses a 3/8" feed. I bought the Lincoln fuel pump, swapped fittings, installed it in the parking lot, and I was on my way.

I bet that the MSD fuel pump is borrowed from some OEM application, perhaps the Ford/Lincoln, or something else. If we knew the OEM application, then we could buy spare fuel pumps at the junkyard for $10. Any ideas? I would like to test the flow rate of the Lincoln pump and see how it compares to the MSD.

Sean

73 240ZT, L28ET, T3/T04E, NPR IC, Z31 ECCS

Guest bastaad525

ugh... I think you're the second guy to have that MSD fail on him. I use the same pump, I know Tim240z also uses the same pump. I've noticed it doing some odd things sometimes... but I just installed it (rather, Tim installed it :D ) a few months ago... how long did you have yours before it went bad?

I'm using that one - and it wasn't cheap, either! About the Lincoln pump: is it as *noisy* as the MSD? The thing's working reliably for me, but MAN, that constant buzz is driving me nuts... I need something quieter (and apparently more reliable).

Guest bastaad525

I dunno I like the buzz.. if only because if the fuel pump fails I'll know it right away... unless I"m getting on it full tilt... in which case... I'll probably know it when my motor melts from boosting with no fuel :D

I can't hear my MSD, or Lincoln Town Car fuel pump at all, probably because it's drowned out by the sound of the engine (installed in the engine bay). My Carter fuel pump (installed at stock location at rear of car), is very loud, but I only notice it at idle.

I had some fuel supply problems due to a blocked feed line in the fuel tank. This might have stressed out the MSD. After cleaning the fuel tank, the MSD failed within 50 miles. I also had Bosch fuel pump out of a Porsche 911, that failed in similar circumstances. Fortunately, these pumps failed at idle, and not full boost!

My other theory is that engine bay heat is too much for the MSD or Bosch, but it is installed on the passenger side near the frame rail, and it shouldn't get too hot over there.

Sean

73 240ZT, L28ET, T3/T04E, NPR IC, Z31 ECCS

Im running an Audi fuel pump from a 85-87 4000 quattro, or 88-92 80/90 quattro. Its a bosch unit and has supported 400hp in some crazy audi turbo projects on other boards I am on. It has a 1/2" inlet and a 12mm threaded outlet. I ran a 12x1.5 to 6-an adapter to make it run in my fuel system. Its totally quite and has been reliable so far.