HybridZ

Z31 V8 SnAg!!

Guest Darthmentos

Guest Darthmentos

New problem. the 305 is fine. the flywheel is fine. the transmission is fine.

Clutch splines are wrong.

Heres the scoop.

Stock 305, w/ standard V8 flywheel (1986)

T-5 chevrolet camaro v-6 type 14 spline.(1987)

Bellhousing 4.3 V6 84 chevrolet c10.(1985)

When I look up parts. The clutch kit that works with the trucks bellhousing and clutch fork is correct. Exept that it is for an 11" clutch with 10 splines.

The disc that fits the camaros' 14 spline is 10". I am aware that you could use the 10" disc with the 11" pressure plate.

Does this sound like a mechanically safe alternative?

Not the route I would go. I'd find a T5 out of a V8 F-body. I've been told that the T5 for the V6 is not as stout as the one for the V8.

So, you spend money on mis-matched parts to begin with, then brake the tranny and have to re-do it the right way the second time?

Even if this a very mild 305 now, you will want to at least pump it up in the future. Maybe even swap it out later for a strong 350? Put the right tranny and clutch in now and avoid headaches and wasted money in the future.

Just my humble opinion. ;)

I'm not too worried about it. The 305 will mostly just have an intake and shorty headers. The V6 T5 isn't AS strong as the V8 version, and it's not a WC, but I'm certain it will hold. Yeah, so I can't dump the clutch.. eh.. cry2.gif

Originally posted by Phil1934:

Mid '80's Astro van has the 11" clutch disc you want.

Oh well, Darth just bought the other one today. I'd rather have a little extra slip anyways with the 10".

I only see one reason to redo a car like this. It is to make a major improvement. In horsepower and driveability. This can easily be achieved with a readily available V8, but if you are gonna go out and do it with chump parts, I don't really see a gain. With a weak 305 and a chump trans you will not have gained anything over stock and will prolly be slower than a stock turbo. So, get with the program and do the right thing.

I think you will regret it if you don't do it right.

Just my wellmeant 2 cents.

Thure

Guest Anonymous

Get it together with what you can.. anyway you can.... you can always improve later...At least you will have a "running" project not a stationary "gold mine" you will lose interest with ...

Slower than a stock turbo? Definently not. AS slow as a stock turbo? Hmm, it's possible I guess, but big deal. I just built a Z31 as fast, or faster, with more torque as a turbo model for $2000-$3000, including the car. Try buying a turbo Z31 for that. It CAN be done, but you won't get off any cheaper than that. tongue.gif

And now I'll have a setup that is cheap to work on. And at any time I wanted to, I could drop in a monster. No turbo routing and stuff to figure out, just drop one in. b_hand.gif

The main thing here though is just something fun, and cheap, to do. It'll be mostly a "weekend" car. If I get the urge for more power, and I'm sure I will, then I WILL build a monster for it. Which is something I don't have the money, or sanity, to do right now. 2thumbs.gif

Guest Darthmentos

exactly my idea as well. Saying bad things about the V-6 t-5 wont make the v8 t-5 with the nice 26 spline input any cheaper.

We're building this car as a runner so he can save up for the good stuff. Once all the routing and welding is done, Im not concerned about replacing the trans if steve blows it up.That will have become an easier issue, with all the mounting and hardware completed.

I already have my eye on a 89 world class T-5 Exept that its asking price is more than we gave for the engine -and- transmission. The 305 is a nice streetable engine for now so steve can get used to the cars behavior.

As steve funds and investment are available. there are future plans for a 4 bolt 350 using a 400 ext balanced crank on a stock bore (reliability) to make 377 C.I. respectively.

I have an (old) casting 282 and 292 lift lunati laying around. dont know whether to use it or not.

I'd appreciate it very much if you wouldn't trash our efforts to this point. Yes we know its a weaker transmission. Yes we know its a lower CI than we'd like. Yes we know that we arent happy about the 14 spline clutch.

We have done everything we can do with the budget at hand. That means these are the parts we can use. Im not going to cry about the wimpy little transmission. I'm gonna put it in and do my very best to kill it.

If 2nd gear withstands the first launch it will be fine until someone tells the recyclers that the WC T5 isnt made out of platinum, now that there's a T56

Oh and by the way, appreciate the information about the astro clutch. I had no idea they were made with manual transmissions.Learn something new every day I do.

But there is a method to my madness. I am intentionally using the smaller disc!

As it was recently pointed out to me for the 7th time that the 6 cly T5 with 14 splines is crap, i am using the smaller disc arrangement to promote slippage on launch. I want it to slip and burn clutches to a crisp because I think its funny!

No....wait,thats wrong.

Its beacuse I want the looser clutch to take the abuses that would normally twist the input shaft up. The same stuff we used to do in the late 70's to get those crappy tremec three speeds to hook up with big tires.

Now does anyone have a tylenol?

Guest Darthmentos

Sorry, my rant wasnt in reference to you, dan judy

Just gets under my skin when Someone referred to our current efforts as chump parts.

Thought that my rebuttal would have been funnier than that, although it was 5am at the time and I was half asleep.

Its all a matter of dollars and sense.

Replacement "chump" T5 and 305 - $1000.00

Replacement "chump" 3.0 v6 -$2395.00 long block

Will it outrun a stock twin turbo? I dont care,heh. Is a 305 a "true" upgrade? Depends on your point of reference. In a lot your cases here in this board, no its a turd. Its a huge upgrade over the current V6 that doesnt run.

And if the transmission blows up, we'll try to catch it on video and share it with you guys.

Well good luck to you, I hope stuff won't break on you too rapidly. Maybe you could adapt the stock trans with an adaptorplate. Or look on ebay for a deal on a stronger trans. How about some creative buying and selling on ebay. Has worked for me, bought a NWC T5 locally for 100 bucks sold it for 400 on ebay.

Later Thure

dont worry about any negativity, just keep posting those pics. i am very interested in your project as i will be doing my own soon. any probs. as well as succeses are welcome more power to you.

Guest Anonymous

putin a SBC in a 300 Zx is new. It seems about every 2 weeks some new comer would post a question on ifo when there was none.Now there is info ..Keep posting... on the "prototype"

The 305 may not be the best performance engine, but I have always liked the way the TPI runners look under a hood. The LT1's and LS1's runners don't have the same look. They just get lost in all the other piping (IMO)

Besides, I am sure the 305 will produce enough oomph for you to lose your license in at least 49 of the 50 states. flamedevil.gifflamedevil.gif I would say all 50 states but some of the ones out west I am not so sure about.

I am planning a somewhat similar swap. Stock V8 initially, then once it all runs right pull the engine for performance mods and while it’s out do the paint.

BTW, your idea on a clutch prone to slipping may be a stroke of genius. But it doesn’t seem like a good idea to me (just an opinion). The thing is just going to wear faster, and I don’t see that helping much of anything.