HybridZ

Can you use stock 280turbo injectors with 300zx ecu swap?

Guest 2slo4u

Guest 2slo4u

Can I use my stock 280zx turbo injectors after installing the 300zx ecu, mas, and trigger wheel? I found no information on this on the two ecu swap writeups and my injectors are also new and don't want to change them if not necessary.

Hopefully I'll find the donor parts today

81turbozx soon to be getting "brain" surgery.

I'm gonna be going to the z31 ecu shortly and yes you can use the stock injectors. If you use 370+cc injectors you should re-program your computer. From what I understand the computer can also be "tweaked" to perform better even if you are still running stock injectors. The best ecu's to run are the 87-89 units. After I get my walbro fuel pump working I'm gonna slap in some 420cc injectors.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my 300zx ecu running in my car now and man what a difference! The power band is broader, and better drivability. My fuel mileage went up by about 2mpg (even though I was driving the hell out of it racing a 2003 350z :wink: )

I used to have a nasty detonation problem so I backed the timing right off and now with this ecu I'm running my timing even more advanced than before and not a hint of detonation right up to 6000rpm!

It's just a 84 turbo ecu, but I'm gonna be putting in a re-tuned 89 NA ecu soon. Until then I'm running with the o2 sensor unplugged

Guest 2slo4u

Yeah, I've done the swap since my last posts on this thread and it runs better with the mas. :-D I have a miss/hesitation at 1000 rpm though and can't seem to cure it. In a couple of days I'm going to put another stock cam and rockers because I think when the shop did the valve job, they mixed up all of the rockers. The car idled better with the previous head and cam.

81zxturbo

95slobaru

I have a miss that comes and goes sometimes too, but I think that it is probably in the ignition wires or cap/rotor or one of my hydraulic lifters. I wouldn't think that your problem would be with rockers as they are all adjustable anyway on a 81. Unless they ratio's are different between exhaust and intake rockers.. but I don't think that they are??

Guest 2slo4u

I have new wires, plugs, cap and rotor. All wires are soldered and the injectors are connected directly with spades, no plugs. I capped off the egr and aac and can't find any vacumm leaks. I don't know if the car is running lean or rich yet, no mixture gauge yet. It almost seems as the ignition completely cuts off for split seconds while idling. I have changed the coil and the power transistor seems to be ok. It does seem to be more like an intermittent electronic problem, but can't seem to track it down.

The reason I think it might also be cam related is because of what I've heard in the past about not mixing rocker arms, etc. The rockers might all be the same size but they create wear patterns on the cam that are all different. I don't know if that's such a big deal, but some of the clearances between the cam and the rockers are not parallel when I adjust them and I have to use the closest area to adjust. Yeah, I don't have hydraulic adjusters, I had too many problems with that head on my previous 83 turbo. I'd rather adjust them every now and then than worry about them losing prime while running or having to replace them one by one. :cry:

81zxturbo

95slobaru