HybridZ

builing up an engine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need a few good websites with suggestions on building up a chevy 350. I've been given a complete 305 and a 350 short block. My questions are as such: should I go ahead and have it bored out .060 over? Then do I use flat or dished pistons? And how about the headers, will the ones off the 305 be okay? or will I start to get into compression ratio problems? ect.

I've got a beautiful 76Z just sitting in the barn looking so sad with an empty engine bay and the JTR book in the front seat.

Thanks for any of your help.

I would go with the 350. However I would not bore it .060 unless you have to.... The pistons to use may take some more consideration before you buy them.

Are you going to turbo/supercharge/nos this engine? If you are then you should consider getting forged or other high quality pistons. For headers you are a little bit

more limited on your options. You can get

block huggers from alot of places that will work. You can also get some really nice full length units from Sanderson. I do not know the link to Sanderson but I know that some of the other Z-NUTZ here will be more than

happy to help you out...

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I am going with the 350 (not the 305). I think I'll just bore it out .040 over and go with flat pistons, with the 305 headers, intake, ect.. I'm upp'n the cam a notch, but not enough to lope. I can do all this fairly inexpensive through local machine shops and JC Whitney. I'll let you the outcome in a few weeks. (hopefully) Laters.