HybridZ

Primer or not?

Hi all,

I've my Riken wheels blasted down to bare metal (just the center face), and now I'm getting ready to put down a layer of paint. Should I use some kind of a primer before I paint them? I thinking about going without the primer because I've already cleaned them with Eagle One Etching Wheel Cleaner. Please advice.

Thanks for your help,

Huy

Use vht caliper paint. It is epoxy based paint available in quite a few colors, withstands 900 degrees, looks like wheel paint, goes on nice, and it adheres to about anything really well. I believe autozone carries it now. Its about 8 bucks a can.

Thanks ToplessZ, I'll check the product out.

Tim, Ol' Brown is going along well...just a little slow .. :-D .I just got these 16*7 -0-offset Riken for $200 and they will go on the car soon...I also got some sway bars, fender mirrors, good front bumper, R200 4.11.... and bumch of parts...you know the "while I'm at it syndrome" :D . How is your new project going along?

Huy

Guest Z-fried

If it is bare metal I would use an acid etching primer. You can get a rattle can of it at NAPA. Bites into the metal and gives the next layer of paint superior adhesion. Prevents flaking.

Im pretty sure both the duplicolor and vht paints will work better without primer underneath. They are designed to go over bare metal. Just make sure the surface is scuffed. Ive used both duplicolor wheel paint and the vht caliper paint. Both very similar but the vht seems to be a tougher coating when comparing the two. Ive used both on bare metal with very good results. I used the vht caliper paint on some centercaps and they look good almost a year later. Whats even better though is I used the vht caliper paint on some dirty rusty calipers on my altima. I did a quick once over with brake cleaner and a wire brush then a little mineral spirits and some more wire brushing. They were still a little rusty and dirty but I didnt car. Painted them almost a year ago and they still look like new!!! Best rattle can product Ive ever used.