HybridZ

283 Stroker

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Has anyone ever heard of or built a 283 stroker motor? It's taking the 262 crank cast#354431 found only in the 75-76 262's it has a 3.10 stroke with 2.45/2.10 journals and putting it in a 283 block. The benefit I see with this is would be improved torque due to the longer stroke. You would be able to keep the "high revving" aspect of the 283 because it would still be a relatively short stroke. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on this?

Gumpyvette, maybe you could chime in with some info...

Guest butlersZ

And yes, I'm aware that the 283 has smaller journal sizes, they would either have to be enlarged or the crank turned down to fit, which the latter would be better. Less friction.

What would make a neat 283 project is bore it 4" and offset grind the steel crank 3.1" from a 2" rod journal to a 1.88" honda journal. Get a set of used nascar honda journal carrillo's , they are usually 6.2" in length. Cut the deck to 9" and use a piston with a 1.25 ch. That would make a neat little 312 incher or 311.6 incher if you dont want to round up. :wink:

Guest butlersZ

I know what the 327 is. No need to explain. Well how about using a 4.00" bore block with that 3.10" crank? I'm not sure how to calculate displacement but it would be like stroking a 302, with the benefits stated above.

Perhaps I have finally lost it.

I disagree I think there is a need to explain a few basics!

And yes, I'm aware that the 283 has smaller journal sizes, they would either have to be enlarged or the crank turned down to fit, which the latter would be better. Less friction.

1. Enlarged journals means a new CUSTOM crank.

2. How do you turn the crank down when it is already undersized?

3. And smaller journals also means it can NOT take as much HP.

The 283 was modified by Chevy as I said. They used a 327 crank in a 283 block, and that is a 307! What advantage do you feel there is in making something with fewer cubic inches than Chevy provided stock with the 307?

The 307 combined the reving of a 283 with improved torque! It was limited in performance and given 327, 350 etc were available for the same cost no one built 307's. But they are a good ~225 Hp motor with decent torque. Read any book and they will all say a 307 is far better for performance than a 305, just the 305 are more abundant.

Here is a list that might be of use

Bore/Stroke

Making a 292 cubic inch motor in 2004 makes absolutely NO sense. I realise you THINK it will rev, but have you ever heard of a 400 destroked with a 350 crank? That can be built for probably the same money as your '292' and with 85 more cubes and the ability to run large valve heads etc will easily make a 400+ HP street motor. Your 'combination' MIGHT make 250 for the same $.

4.00 x 3.1 = 311 and again a SPECIAL motor it would perform between a 302 and a 327. The 302 and 327's were great motors but cubes win! And those motors pale when put next to a 377.

The chevy has been worked by many expert builders and if there is a combination that isn't used, there is a reason!

Good luck

I have seen quite a few early 283 blocks go 4". Hot rodders were making 302's as Chevy called them long before 1967. For displacement its boreX boreX strokeX .7854 X the number of cylinders. As far as the rev ability its a lot more than just the stroke. My 414 sbc, 4.165 bore and 3.8 stroke regularly turns 8100 rpm at the end of the quarter mile. Cam profile, valve weight and spring pressure play a little into the game. I must admitt that piston speed gets a little up there when you combine stroke with rpm. Nothing wrong with thinking about diffrent bore stroke combos. Some times you can find a stocking piston with the right c.h. to work in the combo you are playing with.

What is your setup for this 8100 RPM 414 SBC?

lets see. Donovan block 4.165 bore, beta labs one 3.8 crank, carrillo 6.0 rods, ross 18 degree stocking pistons, c&a z gap rings, moroso pro eliminator oil pan and oil pump, canton accusump, comp cams belt drive, comp cams custom grind roller , 1844 intake lobe 1962 exh lobe, .900bc and a 108 lsa, comp roller lifters, cv push rods, brodix 18x cylinder heads with a little back yard clean up, 2.15 titanium intakes and 1.6 titanium exhausts, comp 944 springs, brodix hv 1801 intake, holley shear plate, davinci 1050 dominator, jesel 1.6 shaft rockers, msd 7al-2 with crank triger, ati dampner 6 3/8 2 ring aluminum hub and shell, moroso 3 vane vacume pump, all tucked into a 71 Datsun 240Z . :D

Yea I saw in a post you said 1.15 60's

Even in a dream I don't have something nearly that fast. I'm hoping to make it into the 6's 1/8 and for a street car is a good goal. Still have the R 200 but kind of doubt I can get to 6's with it oh well such is life.

I'm still digesting the fact that if I left at 0 reaction you would catch me at 60 foot! Just unreal how fast some cars are, and I can't imagine how it feels that has to be a LAUNCH!

Yea, its fun alright. The car really 60 foots hard. Most of the guys that I run with in B/Gas at the Goodguys events 60ft in the mid 1.20's for the 8.60 index. When you leave at 6100 rpm off the transbrake with a 1.89 first gear and a 4.86 rear gear it really zipps out there. It really ticks them off when you whip their Camaros, Mustangs, Vetts, ect with a Datsun. And run a small block on top of it. :D

Sorry I just can NOT imagine. I'm in the 1.6x world to say .5 faster really is a concept outside my world!

I want to go faster but to me 6.99 1/8 is faster...I wonder if my u joint's can handle that, a force that gets me <1.5 is just not my world.

it is funny like they say there is always someone faster...But DAMN