HybridZ

emmision test

rick phillips

i know these test are old hat to a lot of you guys, so how about a little information. we will be starting testing in july next year. i know all the states may have a little different twist but i'm just trying to get some idea where my 77 280 w/89 chevy 350 will fall. they are saying antiques and pre75 are exempt. any information is appreciated. thanks rick

Impossible to say. Every state is different anymore. Some states even vary by county.

The killer for you will most likely be the visual inspection part. You need to have all of the OEM smog stuff installed. Your car may pass the tailpipe test, but without the correct breather tubes or gas cap you will fail.

Maryland is one of the few states that actually put cars on an engine dyno to test under load. A few years ago they changed the test for OBDII cars (1996 and later) to just reading the engine diagnostic info. The only other thing they do is hook an air hose to the gas cap and do a leak down test. Takes all of 8 minutes with my bone stock Tacoma.

The pre 96 cars will still get the load test. But like I say, the visual inspection test gets a lot of people. Watch the paper or check to see what your state has posted (on line or otherwise) to learn what your specific rules will be.