HybridZ

You were right, and a few more questions

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

So you were right. My bogging off of the block was due to an under active acccelerator pump. I "designed" a new cam for the lever giving it a more healthy shot of gas and problem was solved. It still doesn't have the launch I think it should, but it doesn't bog and try to die. I'll have to tinker and tweak it out just right (see question #1 below). I'm gonna have to change my signature on this page to finaly runs right. It's amazing how much beter it starts with a working manual choke!

Of course I'm not only bragging I do have a few questions.

1. Is the Holley trick kit worth it, or should I buy the pieces individualy. I'm thinking about a bigger cam, Lighter 2nd Vac springs, and possibly a larger acc.pump. The trick kit cost about 25.00, but will it come with the parts i'm lookin for? How much variety and tweakyness?

2. Should I replace the stock jets with smaller jets in the front barrels for better fuel economy? I'm thinking when I get the rest of the carb tuned correctly I'll have all the acceleration power I'll need (particularly when I adjust the acc.pump and I make the back Vac2nd open sooner) without the constant fuel drain. Or am I taking two steps forward and one step back? Replacing the jets is a bit more involved than I want to get unless I know it'll work. Of course the personality I'm looking for is a good daily driver that turns into a monster when the motor revs.

3. My goal is to have a 5 speed manual tranny. (again I'm looking for performance AND economy) What is the cheapest and most effective way to get one. I currently have a truck (86 GMC Vandura) Automatic tranny, thus I have a driveshaft to match the longer trans. (ie. shorter) So I'll be lookin for a truck (long) 5 speed if possible. I'm thinkin a junkyard ($125.00) and paying to have it rebuilt ($???.??) or a new autozone-like brand (starting at $350.00?). Of course I'll need throw-out, fork, clutch, fly etc. My 78 280z was a manual so I got the master and slave a hoses and such. If this swap is gonna be too much or too costly I'm thinkin about putting in an automatic with an overdrive. How does the overdrive work compared to the regular auto tranny? Extra vac lines or sophisticated electrical crap? (I'd much rather have the 5 speed though.) Any advice on this topic will be appreciated.

4. What, do you estimate is my current Horse Power. Stock 350, 600cfm Holley (if tuned correctly). Headers with 2 1/4 inch dual exhaust all the way back, and no Cats.