HybridZ

Which R200?

buZy

How can tell what R200 unit I have?

I did pencil rubbings on the top of the rear end housing which has a few casting numbers. To my best knowledge they are 383H...N3100...A...8. Hard to tell the unit in is the car and painted. A 10mm or 12mm??? Could I put LSD in either units?? My gear ratio I would GUESS is around 3.6 to 3.7. I am ok with this ratio. Can I get the stronger 4 pinion gear diff carrier in either the 12mm or 10mm units?

Well scumdog,

The number n3100 would be indicative of early 10mm type.

The letters A & B have adjacent numbers stamped into the casing which are used in calculating side bearing preload washer thickness.

You didn't say which model of car it is in that would also help in ID.

If my memory serves me well 12mm 4 pinion were used in Z31 Turbo that is not LSD. Neil

Ok Neil thanks! Cool. If its the older 10mm unit, can I install an LSD? The rear end is in my 71' 240 V8z. I am sure that was not the original rear end so I dont know what car it came out of.

I noticed that MSA sells 4-pinion 45 lbs LSD units for the r200. They have four different versions for the r200.

77-83 r200 Non-Turbo

81-83 r200 Turbo

84-85 r200 Non-Turbo

84-85 r200 Turbo, 86-89

Thats how MSA lists them. Which one would match my r200 rear end? How could I find out? If I actually need to look inside the unit what am I looking for?

Hi scumdog,

Obvious thing to do is contact MSA and ask them.

They are probably listed that way 1. because of the ring gear bolt size and 2. because of the different types of halfshaft.

If you remove the rear cover 10mm ringear bolts are 14mm socket size and 12mm bolts are 17 mm socket size. Neil.