HybridZ

Titania vs. Zirconia-type 02 sensors in Z31 ECU/MAF swap

Guest Coloradozxt

Guest Coloradozxt

I posted and inquiry regarding the differences in these types of 02 sensors on Zcar.com. ASE MAT seemed to know all about these with the important distinction being that the Titania-type sensor as used with the 88-89 Z31 TURBO ecu acts as a VARIABLE RESISTOR in a 1 Volt reference circuit. It apparently does not generate any voltage, it only changes the voltage of the 1 volt reference circuit very quickly in response to 02 changes in the exhaust. Can anyone confirm this?

I have completed this Z31 ECU/MAF swap in my 83zxt and it runs well, but I have not yet had the 02 sensor operating correctly. I have the small diameter titania type installed with an adaptor that fits into the stock 02 sensor hole and thread in the stock cast iron downpipe. I had this fabricated at a machine shop for about $75. Most exhaust shops don't want to weld a new bung on the cast iron downpipe.

So my question is this: Can the titania type sensor work in with the ECU in this conversion? I don't have a wiring diagram for the 88-89 O2 sensor circuit and I don't know which ECU pins correspond to the "1V reference circuit". Hopefully, when I find the right diagram, I will know how to connect the red and white wires on the titania 02 sensor. They are not used for a heating function.

Can anyone else help? (Bernard, I know you are planning on sending me the wiring diagram).

Coloradozxt

• 4 months later...

I believe the titania sensor will work just fine. From what I can see in the wiring diagrams of my 300zx and my experience with my 280zxt z31 ecu conversion the nissan sensor uses a 12v supply, ground, and the signal wire to the ecu. Just hook up a switched 12v signal to the red wire, ground the white wire, and run the black wire to pin 24 on the ecu. You should be all set.