HybridZ

300zx conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

High guy's new to this site read it for awhile just signed up read alot on zcar but enough of that. I have an 86 300zxt the turbo is shot lady didn't take car of the car i found out later, but any who i want to put a 305 bored out 327 into it was wondering if any body has done this with the 80's model 300. I seen pictures of one on the net in zcar but it look like crap underneath the hood car was awsome on the outside except for the bowtie cut out in the hood. I have a digital dash and so on don't want to loose some of my luxury to the car. So what i need to no if any body has done this and what the problems will be facing.

thanks alot fishniken

Originally posted by fishniken:

i want to put a 305 bored out 327 into it was wondering if any body has done this with the 80's model 300.

thanks alot fishniken

My first question is. Why a 305? I'm not doggin your choice, fishniken. But streching a 305 to 327 ???, Will most likely be not as strong as a mild 350. Assuming this is to be a "street" motor.

There is "NO SUBSITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES, EXCEPT FOR MORE CUBIC INCHES" smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Fish. the fellow with the V8 300 zx with the bowtie on the hood is a member that recently posted pictures and like about all Hybrids is a work in virtual progress.We never have had much opportunity to view V8 300 Zx pictures in detail which was greatly apreciated. We also have 2 members documenting a 300 Zx v8 transplant for the first time which is not pretty but highly informative. I am not sure you can bore a 305's cylinders out to 4 inches to make a 327. Go with a 350 which is a proven fact will make 383 cubic inches.

Guest Anonymous

well i did some research on it and a stock 305 is 3.736 bored and 327 is 4.001 . I'm not sure about this new to the game but if you bore some 30 over your boring it out 3 tenth's of an inch which would makes me to believe that i could bore it out. The reason i was going for this cause wanted the power but not the extra weight and 350 is to much, 327 was an awsome engine everbody seems to like them and thought it would be a perfect combo for the z. Trying to keep the car looking as original as possible with out gutting her to bad

Guest Anonymous

I doubt the weight of a 350 SBC is that much more than a 327 or 305 SBC.As for the math, Im by nature number dyslexic but I do know that Edelbrock makes specific heads with smaller valves for the small bore 305 but the have the same heads to fit the 4.00 inch bore 302,327 and 350 SBC. The 305 aint got the beef for a 4 inch bore.. you might stroke and bore to get 327 cubic inches but as Mayhem questioned "why" ?(when a 350 is for the taking )

Food for thought. The TRW forged pistons in my 327 weigh 600 grams. The Probe Industries forged pistons my 400 is being built with are 440 grams.

The rods in the 400 are 6", probably another 40grams over the 5.7" rods in the 327. So you see, the 400 reciprocation weight is less than the 327, in this case. The 400 pistons are very short, with 1.125" compression height, versus the longer 327 piston. TRW are typically heavy too.

I don't know the weight difference in the 400 2 bolt vs 327 2 bolt block. Probably within 20 lbs or less.

The upshot is, they're all going to be close to the same weight, 305, 327, 350, 400, shortblock anyway.

I agree - go for cubes. My 327 is fun, but I'm looking for more streetable torque, and cubes is the easy, carefree way to do that and have the peak torque and hp be higher than the 327. Hence, my 406 build.

That said, do what makes YOU happy.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info peep's like i said new to the game and need to be schooled. I have a question why so much low end torque? It seems great for take off but sluggish for top end. If the 305 revs higher and has higher rpm's mean's more top end just a question don't know. That's why i'm talking to the pro's to find out what would be best suited for my car. Don't have that much room 31.5" x 32" is all i have to play with before cutting the car to pieces and don't want to mess with the look of the car. Has any one played with a toyota v8 yet.

Guest Darthmentos

Myself and SteveR are using a 305 in his 300ZX because of a budget oriented theme. There are plans in the works for bigger cubes later, but since this car is a test of our abilities with the tools at hand,we want things to be cheap and easy to replace.

We are most likely to flog the 305 to death before getting its replacement built.

What you could do is take a 350, and machine a 400SB crank to fit it. With a stock bore that should make around 377ci.With a (I think) 40 punch out, should be around 383 cube small block.

Originally posted by fishniken:

I have a question why so much low end torque? It seems great for take off but sluggish for top end. If the 305 revs higher and has higher rpm's mean's more top end just a question don't know.

Well, if you're driving it on the street, low end torque and throttle response will make you smile. Just because an engine doesn't keep making the same power when it revs above 6000rpm doesn't mean it's any less fun. In fact, with street gearing, etc., a wide fat torque curve that starts out high and stays flat and high but tapers off at 5500 rpm or so will give you better 1/4 mile times as well. It's not about peak hp, but "area under the torque curve". Plus, driving on the street will be more enjoyable at low throttle openings and response better with a more mild larger displacement V8.

Just my opinion - plenty of people think hig strung engines are more fun, just not me.