HybridZ

Got my DSM BOV in last night

at first I was having the same problems as the rest.. it was leaking vacuum at idle. Right now I have it vented to atmosphere but I think I will curc it back in soon.. I crushed the top and that stopped the leaking. When I drove to work this morning seems not to leak under boost either. I think I am still going to plug the small hole at the bottom.But wow what a sound.. sounds cool.. Alittle louder then I would like but still cool IMO. I want to take it to the track and make sure it is not leaking boost and slowing me down any. Well anyways.. I got it for 4 bucks and Had a friend weld it on my Jpipe for me. So for the price you cannot beat it. Maybe eventually I will get one of the high doller units but for now.. we will see how this thing does. :-D

Guest bastaad525

Even before crushing the cap down on a 1G DSM should DEFINATELY not be leaking boost, I believe they are able to hold up to either 15 or 20psi before crushing the cap. I'm kinda surprised crushing the cap made it stop leaking at idle... I crushed mine down about 1.5mm and it still idled like crap when I left it unrecirculated. One thing that's bad about crushing them is their reaction time is increased, meaning that the pressure builds up that much more, force feeding back thru your turbo, before it's adequately vented... In the now famous test where sport compact car magazine pitted a whole gang of factory stock and aftermarket BOV's against eachother, the stock DSM had one of the best reaction times, but the crushed one diminished it noticeably. I have since 'uncrushed' mine.

The largest problem you will most likely encounter by leaving it open is super lean running basically whenever there is a lot of vacuum in the intake... almost any time you are not accelerating. The vacuum will hold the BOV open and suck a lot of extra unmetered air in... mine ran SUPER crappy any time I was in vacuum, even after crushing. And of course a super rich spot every time you shift.

Question, what does plugging up the little hole in the bottom do??