HybridZ

Block sleeving

Here is my situation:

I have a sbc 400 block 60 over. Anybody who has this block with this bore knows that there's a very limited variety of forged aftermarket pistons without going custom.

Is it worth getting it sleeved, so that i'll have a much larger variety of pistons?

A darton rep. told me that this is what he has for the 400 block:

Bore OD Length Flange thickness Flange OD

4.090 4.315 6.750 0.125 4.440

4.090 4.375 6.750 0.125 4.500

Will any of these work, or am i just wasting my time with the 400? Should sell the block at a loss and get a 350? Thanks for the input.

First I would have the bores checked to see if the block is usable at 60, ie straight & round, not much wear etc. If that's OK, sonic check it and if it's OK then, go with customs. If it's gonna have to be bored, sleeve it or hunt another block.

Most 400's are getting pretty thin at 60, but you never know till it's checked.

John

It depends on a few things such as your intentions for the engine. If you plan on running anything with boost (turbo, blower, n2o, etc) I think you'd be pushing it. However if the block checks out alright in a machine shop, then it should be ok. I've got a 400 small block that's been bored 0.040" over, and drove it daily for about a year and drag raced periodically. I loved it so much I kept it when I sold the car. The 400 is a great engine and I wouldn't give up on it just yet.