HybridZ

Need advice ASAP

Guest jeff1216

Guest jeff1216

I have a 1978 280Z........Body is in great shape .....in desperate need of bushings replaced and needs passenger side floor pan replaced......also needs carpet, a few interior trim pieces.

I have done the small block chevy conversion....car really looks pretty good but it is not finished and I regret not keeping the original motor in the car.

All together I have $3-$4k in the car and a whole lot of time.

I have been looking for a 240Z and I found one earlier this week.......here are the stats

1972 240z

100% original with a VERY shitty 20 year old maaco paint job.

AC...does not work

Original radio

Automatic

134K miles on car....owner said motor and tranny were rebuilt 50k miles ago.

Needs tires and has Crappy rims

Needs passenger floor pan

Small dent (easy to push out) on front left fender

Only body rust I could find was on the right rear quarter (surface rust only)

All glass in great shape

Car looks terrible because of the terrible paint job (brown and where the paint is chipping pff you can see the original orange color)

Missing the spoiler on the front

Front of hood is not flush with body(can you replace the pivots on the hood?)

Bottom line is he wants to do an even trade.

Is the 240Z worth more than my 280?

Worth the same?

From appearance only my car looks 1000% better than the 240......But I am looking to get a stock Z and sell my 280 anyhow.

Is this a deal or would I be foolish to make this deal?

I am supposed to go see the car again in the AM

Guest RCNSC

Normally I would tell any 280 owner to get a 240Z.... and I still think you should consider it... but. no. Keep the 280Z because of all the time/money you have into it.

I think it will be far cheaper to finish your V8 project than to invest all over into the 240Z.

New floors are like what, 400 bucks? Carpet is like 200? Bushings, etc.... Put another 1000 into it and youll probably love it.

How can it need a "new floorpan" and not have any rust? What made the floor pan go bad? Hard to believe a Macco paint job lasted 20 years, but if it truely has then you don't have to worry about them having painted over rust. It would have bubbled to the surface by now. Try to verify the date of the paint job and check carefully for areas which may have been "touched up" since the original job. Could be hiding more than you think.

Some other things don't add up. Can't believe he had to have the engine and trans rebuilt at only 80,000 miles. IMO for the typical L6 you can put another 1 in front of that number.

Oh, may be nitpicking but with a dealer installed AC, no front spoiler and non-factory paint it is technically not "100% original".

I assume the reason for wanting to swap is to get the more collecible 240 vs. 280. But 240's with auto's sell for considerably less than the manuals and a 72 is not all that rare or collectable.

I say stick with the known problems (and the V8). Body work is expensive and time consuming. Suspension work is easy and quick.