HybridZ

Best Tranny to Use on a mid/high boosted Z?

i was wondering what Tranny or modded trans would be ideal on a z boosted with 13-18psi. I read a post about how some people have problems with slippage when they turn the boost up. IMO thats a given,more power harder on the trans,,, but after searching through past posts to find an answer I found that people have swappend in just about every trans into z's and becuase of that the most compatible is a difficult answer. Which is why i ask the turbo folks, what set-up the recomend for a streetable but solid set-up?

What kind of slippage are you referring to? From the clutch? or are you talking about a automatic tranny? If you have problems with the clutch you can always upgrade to get some really wild clutches that can support tons of HP. However some of those clutches would also need upgrades to the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinders. Even then you might still have a heavy clutch pedal. As for trannys they say the T5 borg-warner trans is the strongest, but I wonder how much truth there is to that, my buddy has blown a few BW trannys in his Camaro, but you rarely hear about a blown up Nissan trans. Not only that, the Nissan tranny allows you more room for a turbo downpipe. I have a 3" pipe with two 45 degree bends. No way you'd ever fit that in with a BW trans. I would be more concerned with gear ratios. The late 280zx's have a steeper ratio than the early ones. I have a 83 trans with a 3.54 R200 diff and I don't find it sluggish. Better to keep the engine rpms down and take advantage of the torque that the turbo engine has to offer IMO Besides even with a steep gearing ratio I still manage to have lots of traction problems if I try and launch the car ;)

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

BW's garuanteed to fail, I have had far better luck with N/A tranny but I wouldn't suggest power shifting on a slick or anything like that. If and when I blow this N/A to bits I am gonna do a Sylvia tranny upgrade, big benifit is larger bearings and you can shift the tranny at a higher RPM.

So far my bw t-5 has been holding 25 psi from my hybrid with 9 inch slicks out back. I've been cutting consistant 1.6's and and sometimes lower and haven't had any problems with it yet. Hopefully at the end of this month I'll see a dyno...I'm guesstimating around 400rwhp...but I'll just have to see what it really turns.

James

I have had problems with BW T-5's since day 1, thier main weakness is 3rd gear. If you gut a 300ZX N/A trans down to only the front half of the case/ bell hous. you can bolt in either JDM SR20DE-T guts & tail shaft which will leave you with a close ratio 5 speed W/ carbon shift forks, OR JDM FS5R30A (Skyline GT-S) guts and have a wide ratio 5 speed W/ carbon forks. mine came out of a 198x R31 GT-S

Either JDM trans you will need a custom X-member/tranny mount. My drive shaft had to be cut down .5" and a R31 yoke instaled. don't know about in the Z cars though.

I know peopple who install JDM SR20DE-T's in thier 240's and pickups do the oppisite. they use the JDM front half/bell and thier stock US market guts and tail shaft so they dont need to modify the X-member and drive shaft.