HybridZ

Resources on how to rewire

Guest Mateo

Guest Mateo

Seeing how the Z is my first build car, and how bad the wiring is due to the previous owners hack job on the original spaghetti mess(splices, duct tape, the burned out tach...) Seeing that my dad has no background in car mechanicals, friends are mostly ricers who think putting in a deck is a "major" wiring feat, Im on my own. Im in the current process of looking for ways to rewire my car from the ground up. I have a lot of patience and a will to learn. Ive got one book but after reading through it I feel...incomplete. What other resources do you vets on wiring suggest? Also who do you suggest for connectors, wires and tools for wiring?

That's quite a feat to tackle, fortunately the Z seems like a fairly simple rig as far as electronics are concerned. I'm not sure what kind of resources are available as far as replacing the entire harness, but Summit Racing is now offering 16 and 18 circuit wiring kits for about $230 I believe. If possible you may want to see about replacing only the "hacked" up parts.

Well you might think about finding another car (parts) with a good harness in it. If you have the FSM for your year, it will likely have about 30 pages of wiring diagrams :shock: it takes a while, but it does go throught EVRY wire in the car and it has helped me out a few times to trouble shoot my 280. I too suffer from a p/o's hacking and splicing wiring, but luckily my dash hasn't bee messed with tooo much.. (the switches and lights under the radio dont work anymore, but I deal with it) I also got around some wiring problems by elimitating my FI, and replacing with carbs..

Just curious.. what year is your car? I am trading a 72 240 dash to a member here, and he said he doesnt really need the harness/guages, but I'm giving it to him compleate cause it's useless to me as I have a 280.

As for tools, a good wire striper, side cutters, and a soldering gun/solder would be a good start; After soldering, shrink wrap or black electrical tape the conections. (sometimes I skip soldering, and just twist wires together and tape up really good) Also, a multimeter or at least a light tester (to trace wires, find continuity or lack of..) Personally, I dont like the 'crimp on' style conectors.. they dont hold up over time, and I dont trust them. Good luck with this man.. it can be tedious and it's easy to get frustrated with wiring (for me anyway) but when it's done, you'll have learned something and your car will work!

Mateo,

If the wireing is burnt and it is a carburated car it would probably be a good idea to pull it all out and start over. One of the wireing kits from Painless would be a good start. I've wired several Street Rods over the years and it is not a problem with one of the new wireing kits. What is hard is trying to find a problem in a harness that has been burnt.

Datsunlover covered the basic tools that you will need, he is correct on soldering connections. Also make sure you have good clean ground connections.

Adios Amigos,

Guest MaXbOOst

jeez ,

i know im the only guy out of my friends thats comfortable with wiring. its my specialty so to say on cars.

i can wire-up anything on a car. name it. i love to share my knowledge with people , i only wish i lived closer to help u out. a painless wiring kit could do the trick easy for u . i did a complete turbo wiring swap over , interior , dash , engine bay , and EFI in my Z. it has yet to start b cuz of the power transistor ( waiting on it...) but everything electrical is working fine otherwise.............. i used to do high watt stereo systems for $$ when i was 16 lol. and im only 18. i guess i should start a career in automotive electronics......im seriously thinkin bout it ....