HybridZ

No oil pressure... very weird problem....

Hey guys... Today I had something very weird happen. I started the car and warmed it up. I then plugged in the fan and closed the hood with the engine idling. As I was going to sit in the car to leave the house the idle dropped and the engine quit. I went to restart the engine and nothing really happened, it would turn over and fire on just a couple of cylinders. I discovered that what happened is that the fuel pump was not turning on, which I would assume was because the oil pressure switch was not turning it on. I thought that was strange and turned the motor over a few more times, and confirmed by the oil pressure guage that I was getting no oil pressure where I had a solid 60 psi off idle a few moments earlier. If both the switch and the sender are hooked up to the same spot and neither is showing any oil pressure there must not be any. So, fearing an engine teardown to install a new pump, I pulled the dizzy and spun the pump with my pre-oiler. No problems, the oil pressure moved just fine and the fuel pump turned on. So ok... I put the dizzy back in and again, no oil pressure, couldn't hear the pump running, no fuel pressure. But then I discovered that I had no fuel in the tank - added fuel and discovered that yes, the pump was turning on and pressurizing the line - however, the oil pressure needle was barely edging past 0, and the second I let go of the starter the fuel pump would shut off again. Normally when cranking the motor over, she builds pretty high oil pressure and it takes a while for the fuel pump to shut off while the oil pressure bleeds off. What could be the problem??? When turning the oil pump by hand, it builds pressure as verified by the gauge and fuel pump. When the pump is being turned by the dizzy it does not build pressure?? The only way this could be is if the dizzy is not turning the oil pump, and as the oil pump/dizzy notches are engaging and in fresh condition, I can't see that happening. The dizzy could be not turning at all, but the teeth are fine and as far as I can tell the teeth on the cam are fine.... When I turn it over it does fire a little bit so it is sending spark and must be turning. It seemed like this problem happened really suddenly - the motor was just idling so I don't think I could have broken anything - I didn't hear any strange noises or anything like that. Is there anything that I'm over looking? Any ideas from any of you guys?? Thank you so much...

• 3 weeks later...

I am VERY happy to announce that my pressure problem got worked out. I don't know what the cause was but I pulled the dizzy out, reset the timing, checked everything over carefully and pressure went back to an indicated 50PSI at idle - the car started and ran and I got her all timed again. I really don't know what the problem was and I hope it doesn't happen again!

Merry Christmas to me - I get to drive her again tomorrow :D